New Nvidia driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little help for a complete idiot...

You guys in this thread sound like you know what the hell you are doing and I do not. I have been working for two days trying to get an 9600GT nvidia card running in Ubuntu and have had no luck. I run the 173 driver install from nvidia and it just gets rejected by the OS and I get kicked back to 800x600. I have no clue (the two days spent fussing with this problem is about 2 hours less than how long I've been using Linux)

Any clues from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

s.

Comment

I'm using the beta driver w/9600GT. You need to generate a new XOrg conf using nvidia-xconfig
      You then need to remove nvidia-kernel-common i believe. check synaptic and search for nvidia kernel in the names, and completely remove all that are installed. then the beta blob will work after reboot.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and sorry for hijaking the thread.

Do you know the location of nvidia-kernel-common?

Comment

either search for it or in the terminal
          Code:
          sudo apt-get purge nvidia-kernel-common

Comment

Got it, it's in the Synaptic. So uninstall all?

Comment

Ah, forget it. I give up. Back to XP pro, it recognizes the card and my monitor automatically. It's a waiste to have a 37" monitor running at 800x600. I don't see how Linux expects to make any head way in the desktop game with such cryptic or high learning curve just to get things running.

Comment

Code:
                v   nvidia-kernel-1.0.7184          -                                           
                v   nvidia-kernel-1.0.8774          -                                           
                v   nvidia-kernel-169.12            -                                           
                v   nvidia-kernel-71.86.04          -                                           
                v   nvidia-kernel-96.43.05          -                                           
                p   nvidia-kernel-common            - NVIDIA binary kernel module common files  
                p   nvidia-kernel-source            - NVIDIA binary kernel module source        
                p   nvidia-kernel-source-envy       - NVIDIA binary kernel module source
                On my system none of those are installed, so if they are installed on your system, remove them.

Comment

Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
                  Well...Michael's estimate of a new driver within the next week has gone down the plug hole. Now it's your turn deanjo!
                  Heh, I'm just going what I got from nvidia when I inquired about official 8100/8200/8300 support. Also traditionally nvidia has put out an updated official driver near opensuse release dates.

Comment

Thanks for the help but I think I am to much of a newb. Short of a HOWTO, I am totally lost. I do appreciate your effort though. Maybe if I come back in a few months, it'll be in the basic set of drivers.

s.

Comment

TBH, windows doesn't detect it automagically, you still have to install the drivers yourself. I've heard talk that something in Ubuntu (X server maybe) has trouble detecting wide screen resolutions.
                      Once you've got nvidia drivers you install nvidia-settings and then use that to set your resolution.

Comment

Working...
                      X