NVIDIA 550.54.14 Release Brings R550 Series Linux Driver To Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    usual defensiveness of someone who feels threatened by others disliking what that someone spent a LOT of money on snipped
    Your opinion is very important for us. Please don't restrain yourself, say something insightful. We've not hear enough of NVIDIA fanboying.

Meanwhile Linux users who have been using NVIDIA GPUs for decades (you're not going to sponsor all of us to switch to AMD/Intel, right? and it's not like AMD/Intel actively sabotage their competition) will continue to express well-founded complaints about this proprietary crap. It actually is quite annoying. For instance I've had more issues with NVIDIA than I had with open source AMD and Intel (combined total!) drivers. Let me know when NVIDIA stops breaking Coolbits, changing how and where the settings are made without bothering to note the change, neglecting to add those toggles into their own settings GUI, and in one memorable case breaking compatibility with Mineclone2 when I was having a great deal of fun with it, because NVIDIA can't be bothered to follow standards I guess?

I'm sure the reason ASUS, Valve, Sony, and Microsoft went with AMD was because it was so much worse than the NVIDIA option. Sure. Very very sure.

Literally the only three things NVIDIA has over AMD at this point are power efficiency per frame per second, frame timing consistency (which for all I remember is a Windows only problem?), and not needing to recompile OpenCL kernels every time I change what features a Blender render uses. And wouldn't you know it, AMD's still the only sane option at the low-power-consumption end, despite that lower efficiency (Intel Arc still seems to have too many issues to iron out).

Have a nice day!

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post

Your opinion is very important for us. Please don't restrain yourself, say something insightful. We've not hear enough of NVIDIA fanboying.

Meanwhile Linux users who have been using NVIDIA GPUs for decades (you're not going to sponsor all of us to switch to AMD/Intel, right? and it's not like AMD/Intel actively sabotage their competition) will continue to express well-founded complaints about this proprietary crap. It actually is quite annoying. For instance I've had more issues with NVIDIA than I had with open source AMD and Intel (combined total!) drivers. Let me know when NVIDIA stops breaking Coolbits, changing how and where the settings are made without bothering to note the change, neglecting to add those toggles into their own settings GUI, and in one memorable case breaking compatibility with Mineclone2 when I was having a great deal of fun with it, because NVIDIA can't be bothered to follow standards I guess?

I'm sure the reason ASUS, Valve, Sony, and Microsoft went with AMD was because it was so much worse than the NVIDIA option. Sure. Very very sure.

Literally the only three things NVIDIA has over AMD at this point are power efficiency per frame per second, frame timing consistency (which for all I remember is a Windows only problem?), and not needing to recompile OpenCL kernels every time I change what features a Blender render uses. And wouldn't you know it, AMD's still the only sane option at the low-power-consumption end, despite that lower efficiency (Intel Arc still seems to have too many issues to iron out).

Have a nice day!
      you are the first person i have ever met that thinks AMDs closed source linux driver is better than Nvidias.

when was the last time they made a noteworthy driver release?
      Last edited by mSparks; 25 February 2024, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Have a nice day!
        I've never had issues with coolbits, "toggles", a unique game I've never heard about or anything else that you've very vaguely outlined, not I cannot find any topics on a pertinent forum or bug tracker, nor I even remember your nickname on those forums which strongly indicates you're making some of your accusations up.

Dude, I love working with facts. You've got nothing but IMHO, unfortunately. If something truly bothers you, you let NVIDIA at least know about your issues, not whine about them on a random forum.

And unlike you with nothing to prove for it I can show exactly which issues NVIDIA has had, for instance it took them years to resolve, e.g. I2C issues or power consumption issues.

Don't be a buffoon blindingly hating something. It's all so common here on these forums.

Have a nice day.
        Last edited by avis; 25 February 2024, 08:12 AM.

Comment

power efficiency per frame per second
          I'd forgotten about that one when I bought my RTX 3060 for the CUDA. As someone whose new Ryzen was chosen for the 65W TDP because he has no air conditioning, thanks for reminding me of another reason I chose the best card for my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

you are the first person i have ever met that thinks AMDs closed source linux driver is better than Nvidias.
            Uh, what? AMD barely has a closed-source GPU driver. fglrx is long dead, and there's little reason for most people to use the AMDGPU-PRO stuff.

I've never had issues with coolbits, "toggles", a unique game I've never heard about or anything else that you've very vaguely outlined, not I cannot find any topics on a pertinent forum or bug tracker, nor I even remember your nickname on those forums which strongly indicates you're making some of your accusations up.

Dude, I love working with facts. You've got nothing but IMHO, unfortunately. If something truly bothers you, you let NVIDIA at least know about your issues, not whine about them on a random forum.

And unlike you with nothing to prove for it I can show exactly which issues NVIDIA has had, for instance it took them years to resolve, e.g. I2C issues or power consumption issues.

Don't be a buffoon blindingly hating something. It's all so common here on these forums.

Have a nice day.
            1. "works for me" is not an argument that invalidates the "does not work for me" of someone else.

2. Why would I waste my time filing a bug about a closed-source blob, about something which happens on hardware they've long since moved past (the GTX 970, in my case)? If it's not a feature their corporate-class clients use on their still-deployed Quadros, they give zero cares. Besides, this is the only place I still use this name -- if you see my name elsewhere, dated more recently than 2015, that's someone else -- so of course you're not going to find bug reports under it.

And no, I'm not going to give my real name the ones submitted more recently are under, so sorry to disappoint your nosiness.

Besides, the Mineclone2 issue corrected itself with a) rolling back the nVidia driver and later b) the next version update of it. Now I just wish they'd fix the nonfunctioning under/overclocking control... just not enough to bother filing a bug report that'll just be ignored or WONTFIX'd. I'm never buying their hardware again anyway, for many reasons, anyway, why throw good time after bad?

3. I don't make stuff up, but thanks for the ad hominem.

4. For loving working with facts, you sure like ignoring them when it's convenient -- just as not bothering to waste time doing citable research beyond my own experiences (and remembering what I saw while trying to find solutions to nVidia's breaking things), when dealing with a well-known longtime forum troll, is something I like, because it's convenient.

5. Good for you, you can prove my point even further than I felt worth spending the time to. Does it make you feel like a big man? Goodie for you; seems a bit like shooting yourself in the foot to prove you have great aim. Whatever floats your boat!

6. What blindly hating? Did you miss the part where I went nVidia on every desktop GPU upgrade since about 2010? A GT 430, a GTX 950, and a GTX 970, to be precise. Before that was the ATI Radeon HD 4350, and the HD 2400 before that. My laptops during the same time have been integrated Intel and AMD Radeon APUs with their cut-down versions of R7. The only GPU-driver-caused problems I've had were because of the ancient fglrx driver back in the Hardy Heron era, with nouveau on the GT 430 before their support stabilized... and with nVidia's blob driver.

​But overall, thanks so much for completely missing the point of the parodic structure. The point being that you're being no less annoying than the other side, while conveniently ignoring the very real problems nVidia actively prevents anyone from meaningfully fixing.

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I'd forgotten about that one when I bought my RTX 3060 for the CUDA. As someone whose new Ryzen was chosen for the 65W TDP because he has no air conditioning, thanks for reminding me of another reason I chose the best card for my needs.
            And that's perfectly fine, I chose my former GPU, a GTX 950, back in the day for similar reasons. My snark at avis wasn't about choosing the best available option, it was about his hypocrisy around "annoying fanboys" and general tribalism-powered blindness about why people here would like AMD's offerings.

Comment

Uh, what? AMD barely has a closed-source GPU driver.
              Their distribution model is identical to nvidia

Nvidia just have more closed source components for Linux because they actually invest in Linux.

Comment

a wall of inane text
                You've failed to prove any of the issues you listed are real. No forum posts, no nvidia bug tracker reports, nothing. "Trust me bro" doesn't work with me.

And there was no ad hominem in my message. I asked you not to be someone who makes outstanding claims without any proofs. That's it.

"well-known longtime forum troll" - and that is indeed ad hominem and not only that you are lying about me. I've never trolled here or anywhere else. I've been sarcastic quite a lot, that's not trolling.

And given that you indeed throw false accusations at me and insult me publicly, welcome to my blacklist. Don't want to see anything from you ever again.

Everyone here perfectly knows who I am and I have a reputation to keep. You on the other hand prefer "to be anonymous", "to lie about others" and "make claims no one can confirm".

Comment

I still don't understand one thing. OK NVIDIA is a "shit company" which doesn't provide open source Linux drivers. Does that mean that open source AMD GPU drivers have suddenly become "perfect" just because they are "open"? OMFG, not even close, they are choke full of bugs and regressions: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues

And it looks like AMD doesn't even invest into their drivers nearly enough for them to be bug-free. From the look of it, AMD employs fewer than a dozen full time employees for their Linux driver, when their Windows driver team probably has hundreds. At the same time NVIDIA doesn't want to spread resources thin and have two separate drivers/teams because that's costly and they can count money. It makes more sense to have a single high quality driver instead of two where you have to choose how much resources you want to invest in it just not to offend open source followers.

Linux/Open Source fans just love to live an alternative reality where "open" means "excellent" or even "perfect". And of course, every AMD fan here will instantly use anecdotal evidence as a "proof" this bug tracker is invalid and amdgpu is perfect, "it works for me".

It's embarrassing how shortsighted and vile people can become when they are part of a tiny community, you may even call it a "sect" or "cult". And as with every cult, people who follow it, often abandon logic and create myths.

Comment

And it looks like AMD doesn't even invest into their drivers nearly enough for them to be bug-free.
                    One thing Ive come to understand getting far to close to gpu drivers than I would like, is AMD runs a very different business model than nvidia.

"nvidia is a software company first and hardware company second"

AMD otoh is primarily a hardware company, and "the software is someone elses problem".

This lets them sell cheaper silicon for use in consoles and handhelds where the primary responsibility for drivers sits with Sony/Microsoft/valve

And that also works out pretty well for 3PD OSS guys championing everyone give away their hard fought IP for free (mostly to the detriment of naive students who think they are doing the right thing when they release their groundbreaking projects under GPL, only for the likes of microsoft or Redhat to fork it and claim it as their own).

But both AMD and nvidia are just as evil megacorps as each other, mostly not, they all seem like awesome talented people: team red and team green.

Their cheerleaders are talentless, boring and repetitive as fuck though.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

One thing Ive come to understand getting far to close to gpu drivers than I would like, is AMD runs a very different business model than nvidia.

"nvidia is a software company first and hardware company second"

AMD otoh is primarily a hardware company, and "the software is someone elses problem".

This lets them sell cheaper silicon for use in consoles and handhelds where the primary responsibility for drivers sits with Sony/Microsoft/valve

And that also works out pretty well for 3PD OSS guys championing everyone give away their hard fought IP for free (mostly to the detriment of naive students who think they are doing the right thing when they release their groundbreaking projects under GPL, only for the likes of microsoft or Redhat to fork it and claim it as their own).

But both AMD and nvidia are just as evil megacorps as each other, mostly not, they all seem like awesome talented people: team red and team green.

Their cheerleaders are talentless, boring and repetitive as fuck though.
                      I concur.

Comment

Working...
                      X