NVIDIA R545 Linux Beta Driver Brings HDMI Deep Color, Night Color & FB Consoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grinness View Post

it may be hard to believe for blob-lovers, but there is no 'proprietary extension' by Valve on the deck:
    So what i said, the protocol is actually called "gamescope_swapchain" and probably not supported by any other compositor than gamescope

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

I didn't know there was any other except HDR10+
      There is also something called 8bit+FCR

Actually most gaming monitors with gsync will run in the 8bit+dithering mode if you go over 60HZ.

In widows display settings it will clearly either show 10bit or 8bit+dithering, but it does not matter anyway cause a real HDR monitor costs a arm and a leg i have a 32" HDR gsync monitor with a 8bit+FCR panel and that allready cost me 500€ a real hdr10 certified display goes for 1.5-2 grand, and even then the internal technic might actually be 8bit+dithering.

Comment

10bit colors means 2^10x2^10x2^10 colors=1.07 billions colors, against 8bit=2^8x2^8x2^8 colors, indicated in the monitor control manager in Windows menu as 16.777.216 colors. Dolby means 12bit. Currently Dolby is just virtualized by some kind of filter on 10bit monitors or Tvs supporting it.
        When 10bit images are reproduced in 8bit panels colors have issues because not all color shades can be processed... so often above all dark images appear pixeled... some GPU's drivers apply dithering as solution in order to reduce the banding effect reducing the shades to the same color.
        Last edited by MorrisS.; 18 October 2023, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post

So what i said, the protocol is actually called "gamescope_swapchain" and probably not supported by any other compositor than gamescope
          No, you wrote 'proprietary extension'
          Nothing 'proprietary' here:

SteamOS session compositing window manager. Contribute to ValveSoftware/gamescope development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

So here's a simple question that someone may know the practical real UX answer to:
            Re: "The NVIDIA Open GPU kernel driver support using the open-source out-of-tree kernel modules is now considered to be beta quality for GeForce and Workstation GPUs."

If attempting to use a general graphical OS Tumbleweed gnome desktop for general development (including CUDA) & general desktop use is it likely to fail to work or break desktop usability to try and use the open kernel modules with a consumer Geforce Ampere RTX30xx GPU?

When I started looking into it a little the other day I saw the various disclaimers about alpha/beta level support using the open kernel modules on GeForce, then I ran into what looked like a large blocklist of GPUs which are basically not enabled to use them or are enabled to work in some ways (???) with the open kernel modules and that SEEMED like it included a lot (all?) of the geforce 20xx, 30xx ampere, and IIRC 40xx consumer geforce RTX GPUs.

So from a practical perspective I'd like to (ideal case) run say GF RTX 3060/3070 ampere GPUs under say opensuse Tumbleweed with NV open kernel modules and use the default OS gnome desktop / wayland, develop / run CUDA applications, run web browsers / common applications, and basically have a normally functioning developer experimental desktop and experiment with making use of some of the newer CUDA 12.2 features that are apparently tied to using the open kernel modules driver e.g.:

Heterogeneous Memory Management (HMM) is a CUDA memory management feature that improves programmer productivity for all programming models built on top of CUDA.

Is this "beta" warning correctly translated to ~ "It doesn't work well at all except with a few select GPUs and when it does work with one of those models it's still going to be unstable and not feature complete in practice unless you're really just using a non graphical desktop and focusing on running a CUDA container for GPGPU only non UI stuff"?
            1.2.1. General CUDA
            ... This release introduces Heterogeneous Memory Management (HMM), allowing seamless sharing of data between host memory and accelerator devices. HMM is supported on Linux only and requires a recent kernel (6.1.24+ or 6.2.11+). HMM requires the use of NVIDIA’s GPU Open Kernel Modules driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post

No, you wrote 'proprietary extension'
              Nothing 'proprietary' here:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/gamescope/tree/master
              Is it a part of the official wayland spec? If not that's what "proprietary extension" means: it's an unofficial extension catered to one use case and not something incorporated into the actual wayland specification. There are more uses to that word than just "is source code available?"

Comment

I'm told this new driver has resulted in much better Wayland support? True or false?

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post
                  Is it a part of the official wayland spec? If not that's what "proprietary extension" means: it's an unofficial extension catered to one use case and not something incorporated into the actual wayland specification. There are more uses to that word than just "is source code available?"
                  That's not what "proprietary extension" means.

Comment

Working...
                  X