No announcement yet.

NVIDIA R545 Linux Beta Driver Brings HDMI Deep Color, Night Color & FB Consoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA R545 Linux Beta Driver Brings HDMI Deep Color, Night Color & FB Consoles

Phoronix: NVIDIA R545 Linux Beta Driver Brings HDMI Deep Color, Night Color & FB Consoles

NVIDIA today published their first R545 Linux driver beta series with a number of shiny new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still not having second thoughts about replacing my 3080 Ti with a 6800 XT. AMD is far more enjoyable on Linux

Comment

- Experimental support for frame-buffer consoles provided by the NVIDIA DRM kernel driver. This will replace the Linux boot console driven by the system frame-buffer.
      ​
      Sure took them long enough, jeez!

Comment

- Experimental support for frame-buffer consoles provided by the NVIDIA DRM kernel driver. This will replace the Linux boot console driven by the system frame-buffer
        Wait, Nvidia kernel driver has already started to utilize Linux kernel's DRM subsystem? I don't understand.

Comment

Finally VRR and night color on Nvidia Wayland. Getting closer to actually being usable.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            Wait, Nvidia kernel driver has already started to utilize Linux kernel's DRM subsystem? I don't understand.
            The nvidia-drm module (which has been around for years already) does not use the kernel drm implementation, it's still proprietary. All it does is it registers the driver with the drm subsystem and provides a drm-compatible interface.

Comment

A four months (!!!) old bug which resulted in extremely annoying flickering (mostly for Turing users) might have finally been fixed. Whoa.

Fixed a bug that could cause monitors to flicker when the performance state changes on Turing GPUs.
              Originally posted by user1 View Post

I've no clue but it's emulated KMS for years now. Without this Wayland compositors will simply not work.

Comment

It is strange to me that people have had so many issues with NVIDIA drivers for so long. I cannot even remember the last time I had a real issue with installing the driver; it is why I switched to NVIDIA after I replaced my ATI 9800 pro.

Comment

I need to ask... is HDMI 10 "deep color" the same as, or, in some way used for HDR10 support? Or are these two completely different things yet again?

Comment

They even fixed the issue that made Vulkan crash on native Wayland apps on PRIME. Except for explicit sync and tearing protocol (which needs to be merged, and then implemented on compositors), I don't see any need to hate Nvidia proprietary drivers for not supporting Wayland well. VA-API implementation from them would be still nice (unless alternatively Vulkan Video extensions will get supported on browsers). All the issues regarding to XWayland will get resolved when Wine will get mature Wayland support, which it's not really far.
                    Soon and later, users will split between open-source drivers and proprietary ones, depending on their workflow, and I think nouveau and NVK (on Turing+ where reclocking will be supported by GSP firwmare) will be a really great fallback in case Nvidia will break their drivers somehow in the future.
                    Just want to spread some positivity here

Comment

Working...
                    X