NVIDIA R520 Linux Driver Being Prepped For Release With New GPU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA R520 Linux Driver Being Prepped For Release With New GPU Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA R520 Linux Driver Being Prepped For Release With New GPU Support

This should come as little surprise with the GeForce RTX 4090 series releasing this week as the first Ada Lovelace GPUs, but NVIDIA is releasing a new feature branch driver for Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I gotta ask, "Does the Geforce RTX 4090 work with the Linux open source (Nouveau) driver?"

How about the self-compiled open source nVidia Github driver?

Looks like the last fully working nVidia video card using an open source driver (on Linux) is still my 2012 nVidea Geforce GTX 670. All subsequent and newer nVidia cards apparently require explicit closed sourced drivers, otherwise the video card is a paper weight by the Nouveau open source driver feature matrix.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
      I gotta ask, "Does the Geforce RTX 4090 work with the Linux open source (Nouveau) driver?"

How about the self-compiled open source nVidia Github driver?

Looks like the last fully working nVidia video card using an open source driver (on Linux) is still my 2012 nVidea Geforce GTX 670. All subsequent and newer nVidia cards apparently require explicit closed sourced drivers, otherwise the video card is a paper weight by the Nouveau open source driver feature matrix.
      That won't work anytime soon in a usable state. While NVIDIA has an open source kernel driver, Nouveau refuses to use it because it's not perfect. Go bother Nouveau devs and see if they can lower their standards.

Right now they seem to have an attitude of wanting to make a perfect driver that others can copy paste from, instead of a usable driver that people will actually use.

Comment

This needs fixed (3817621): https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...les/issues/380

Hopefully the standalone 520.61.05 driver includes the fix: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...vers/229132/18
        Last edited by Guest; 10 October 2022, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

That won't work anytime soon in a usable state. While NVIDIA has an open source kernel driver, Nouveau refuses to use it because it's not perfect. Go bother Nouveau devs and see if they can lower their standards.

Right now they seem to have an attitude of wanting to make a perfect driver that others can copy paste from, instead of a usable driver that people will actually use.
          Nouveau can not use it, at least use it as more then a manual. And by nvidias own words, this driver is not meant to be upstreamed but should serve as a reference implementation for Nouveau.

Comment

VRR support for open kernel driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
              This needs fixed (3817621): https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...les/issues/380

Hopefully the standalone 520.61.05 driver includes the fix: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...vers/229132/18
              I really doubt it, I have been waiting for almost a year now for a bug to be fixed that keeps me from using more then 60hz.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

It's different driver, Nouevau can't really just use it. What Nouveau can do is using GSP just like this driver to provide proper support (reclocking, power management etc.) for newer Nvidia GPUs. As far I know this work already started. It probably won't be finished soon because it needs major rework of Nouveau but eventually it will be there.

Comment

Working...
                X