Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Posts 470 Linux Driver Beta With Better Wayland Support, DLSS + Improved PRIME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And gone is the hope for an open source kernel-space driver model...

Comment

Originally posted by aphysically View Post
      If there's DMA-BUF support (not clear to me from the changelog) that's the last piece for video hardware acceleration over vdpau-to-vaapi in firefox for nvidia users.
      A majority of the code in the first pull request for XWayland that allowed the 470 drivers to accelerate it was just a matter of moving dma-buff specific code from the GBM backend to the common backend so that both can use it. In other words, dma-buff isn't explicitly state in the driver notes but it's definitely there because XWayland is accelerated.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
        And not a word about fixing kernel panic with DP displays in release notes...
        Running DP display on Nvidia with no kernel panic in sight. What am I missing here (besides the kernel panics themselves)?

Comment

Originally posted by bosjc View Post

Applications generally won't have compatibility issues thanks to X-Wayland. They don't need to be specifically programmed for Wayland.

For for this release, it enables xwayland on Nvidia with some caveats, including that you need to deploy a GIT version of Xwayland, and you need a few other libraries to be up to date. Even with that met, it has documented limitations in this release.
          You have no idea what I meant. Yes they will depending on issues involving all the compatibility code and anything related. Its not a bug free zone.
          Last edited by ix900; 22 June 2021, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Running DP display on Nvidia with no kernel panic in sight. What am I missing here (besides the kernel panics themselves)?
            I'm glad for you, apparently you're lucky to have configuration which doesn't cause the panic. Or you run older driver which do not panic.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

I'm glad for you, apparently you're lucky to have configuration which doesn't cause the panic. Or you run older driver which do not panic.
              Running the latest driver, I'm on Arch. I was just asking what is this bug about, as I haven't seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Running the latest driver, I'm on Arch. I was just asking what is this bug about, as I haven't seen it.
                465.24.02 crashes on boot with a page fault with my RTX 2060. I’m using kernel 5.11.14 on an i7-8700K. Relevant journal output: Apr 20 12:02:59 halley kernel: BUG: unable to handle page fault for address: ffff8d2e85020000 Apr 20 12:02:59 halley kernel: #PF: supervisor write access in kernel mode Apr 20 12:02:59 halley kernel: #PF: error_code(0x0003) - permissions violation Apr 20 12:02:59 halley kernel: PGD 396a01067 P4D 396a01067 PUD 10121c063 PMD 105e57063 PTE 8000000105020161 Apr 20 12:...

Comment

I wonder what happened to that work with the alternate GBM backend that they were interested in. IMO that's the only way that Nvidia/wayland will be useable. And now that they figured out the dma-buf passing situation, its not impossible for them to just support GBM. A shame that it didn't come out in R470, I guess Nvidia users will be left behind as the Linux userbase slowly transitions to wayland.

Comment

While I agree that AMD and NVidia need to drop support for older video cards at some point. Both of them doing it while no one can upgrade their systems due to the companies failing to meet demand feels like a dick move.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                      While I agree that AMD and NVidia need to drop support for older video cards at some point. Both of them doing it while no one can upgrade their systems due to the companies failing to meet demand feels like a dick move.
                      I just read that gpu prices are dropping. It kind of helps also that crypo has recently taken big hits. If that continues then you will have plenty of gpu's to buy.

But I do feel the need to mention AMD does the same thing and it also doesn't matter so you better kind of state that toward more than one company.
                      Last edited by ix900; 22 June 2021, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X