Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Posts 470 Linux Driver Beta With Better Wayland Support, DLSS + Improved PRIME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

I just read that gpu prices are dropping. It kind of helps also that crypo has recently taken big hits. If that continues then you will have plenty of gpu's to buy.

But I do feel the need to mention AMD does the same thing and it also doesn't matter so you better kind of state that toward more than one company.
    Did you even read what you quoted?

Comment

Finally. 🙏🏻

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

Did you even read what you quoted?
        Of course. You're right that I missed the fact that you did state both ;-)

But you should have read what you quoted to know that I read what I quoted as the first part does answer your statement there. You can of course see it differently. I do not have to answer what you stated in a way you would expect.
        Last edited by ix900; 22 June 2021, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iskra32 View Post
          I wonder what happened to that work with the alternate GBM backend that they were interested in.
          The required code still needs to be merged into mesa. They can't really release a driver that supports it without knowing how that ends up.

Comment

Originally posted by phornoix
            Improved PRIME
            Hm, does NVidia support PRIME offload these days? Just curious. I don't own any NVidia hw so am probably out of date on this. Last I remember the lack of PRIME offload was one of the big problems with their driver.

Comment

Probably, the 470 version will be released in the first week of July.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post

Hm, does NVidia support PRIME offload these days? Just curious. I don't own any NVidia hw so am probably out of date on this. Last I remember the lack of PRIME offload was one of the big problems with their driver.
                PRIME works very well for me since 2019, when official NVdia support was introduced. I've been willing to try PRIME with XWayland now, might give it some time this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by iskra32 View Post
                  I wonder what happened to that work with the alternate GBM backend that they were interested in. IMO that's the only way that Nvidia/wayland will be useable. And now that they figured out the dma-buf passing situation, its not impossible for them to just support GBM. A shame that it didn't come out in R470, I guess Nvidia users will be left behind as the Linux userbase slowly transitions to wayland.
                  I think that was basically a side/hobby project that nvidia developer was working on, mostly for a couple weeks each year around XDC so he could talk about it. There doesn't seem to be any urgency from NVidia to use it, since they got mutter and kwin to support their drivers already. Mesa devs are all already happy with GBM so they don't care much either.

Comment

Originally posted by bosjc View Post

Applications generally won't have compatibility issues thanks to X-Wayland. They don't need to be specifically programmed for Wayland.

For for this release, it enables xwayland on Nvidia with some caveats, including that you need to deploy a GIT version of Xwayland, and you need a few other libraries to be up to date. Even with that met, it has documented limitations in this release.
                    For those interested. I went and built from source the required xserver, enabled required bits, and the rest was already installed, so enabled it fully under Wayland to see what happens.

glxinfo
                    No llvm found for rendering...
                    OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
                    OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
                    wayland

And Wayland animations work properly now. Should note that the driver will still improve XWayland applications but with reduced performance by just installing the 470 driver and doing nothing else.

Chrome and some other applications now fail to work here. Haven't looked into if there's something to do about that right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
                      Chrome and some other applications now fail to work here. Haven't looked into if there's something to do about that right now.
                      Under Wayland or XWayland? Discord doesn't work for me either and that just opens in XWayland.

I think I'm the most confused by GTK4 apps not working but I think that might have been true with the last drivers, too.

Comment

Working...
                      X