NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series Linux Driver/Support Expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleid View Post

There is a diagnosis for that. It is called selective perception. You should probably check your resolution.
    Denial must be nice. Face it: AMD has always made lousy hardware compared to Nvidia.

For the record, it's 1080p always. But i suppose some Linux users are have their nose so high up the air to think that only they know how to check their display resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post

Lol Novideo. I am always amused when Linuxeros blame companies for not open-sourcing their drivers, as if those companies don't compete with other GPU vendors on driver quality too. Or when Linuxeros blame the hardware when it doesn't work properly with some matchsticks-and-glue re-implementation of the official driver.

It's like when WineHQ calls software that doesn't work in Wine "Garbage" when even Wine devs themselves admit they don't have 100% API coverage even for Windows XP.

Sorry for the mini-rant. Couldn't resist.
      Nothing wrong with a rant when it's truth. Most people just plain refuse to acknowledge the truth and go all 'No FOSS BAD!" like some spoilt kid as though they are entitled to the source code just because they say so. Talk about selective perception...

As for the driver issue, I can't really use the Nvidia proprietary driver because I modified my distribution with the latest upstream kernels and libdrm. Also, I want to use Wayland on Gnome, Plasma and Weston, the last of which does not support the proprietary driver. So i'm kind of stuck with Nouveau. And there's so the fact that the version of Plasma that Debian 10 and OpenSuse 15.1 ship with most likely do not contain Nvidia's patches to make them compatible with the proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Denial must be nice. Face it: AMD has always made lousy hardware compared to Nvidia.

For the record, it's 1080p always. But i suppose some Linux users are have their nose so high up the air to think that only they know how to check their display resolution.
        I believe you that your AMD card has a worse output for whatever reason. The funny (and sad) thing is that you generalize from one measurement to the whole set. It tells us a lot about your... abilities.

Comment

So the teased open source announcement from Nvidia didn't even happen for the streamed announcements? I was curious about it and expected something todo with ai and cloud computing. Damn it. Still waiting to be disappointed

Comment

I'm happy with NVIDIA hardware except for 2 things,
            -Their display config tool is kinda crap and glitchy (but you can work around the problems)
            -They need to figure out something for Wayland at some point, soon!

I think life would be easier for NVIDIA if they did open-source the drivers, but they are very proprietary and there is probably huge legal issues as to why they haven't done that.

I'll bet on RDNA3 being something special, but I think RDNA2 cards are very emergency catch-up because of lack of info over the years and this is AMD's first attempt at hw ray-tracing et al. SO its going to be a little rough, much like how 20 series took a while to find its feet.
            (DLSSv1.0 and Ray-tracing was pretty crap on launch)

I didn't buy the 20 series because I didn't want to be a guinea pig for NVIDIA, same goes for AMD's RDNA2 cards!
            Last edited by theriddick; 16 September 2020, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Stopp calling binary only blobs valid open source operating system driver support. If you want unfixable binary only stuff use Windows, and stop promoting it for Linux & BSD. As can be seen from the lack of modern API support needed for modern Compositors and desktop environments it is harming innovation and progress.

Comment

AMD cards are crap. The Plasma Wayland on my R7 240 looks blurry compared to the same desktop being rendered by a GT 610 that was released a whole year before the R7 240.

Novideo makes better hardware than AMassiveDungpile
                Maybe it's just your R7 240 that is fucked (blame the OEM that made the card, or blame yourself if you bought from PowerColor) or there are other issues?
                I can run Plasma Wayland on Tumbleweed with no blurryness on a Asus HD5450 (which is quite a bit older and is sitting in a box because it can't run if I disable CSM in UEFI setup), on a Asus R5 230 (that supports UEFI boot, afaik the only R5 230 that does), on a FirePro W2100, on a RX 550 and on a 2400G and 3400G APU

I have a 21:9 3440x1440 screen and I don't use glasses so I would notice. I also ran Windows over all those cards at one time or another and it wasn't blurry.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  Stopp calling binary only blobs valid open source operating system driver support. If you want unfixable binary only stuff use Windows, and stop promoting it for Linux & BSD. As can be seen from the lack of modern API support needed for modern Compositors and desktop environments it is harming innovation and progress.
                  True!
                  Valid open source operating system driver support is the one that is in the kernel itself.
                  The binary blob is more of a workaround than proper support.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                    I want working hardware.
                    I know it's not ideal, and I know it goes against my personal beliefs, but at the end of the day I want the GPU to run as best as it can.
                    It sucks that Nvidia is so closed, but they still produce the best graphic cards on the market

Comment

I don't even care if re-clocking works, because it's practically useless for entry-level cards used purely just for displaying the graphical desktop. And I'm still waiting for the day Plasma Wayland can be used with Nouveau. Currently in Debian 10's and OpenSuse Leap 15.1's version of Plasma Wayland, Nouveau:
                      - causes an immediately lockup as soon as Plasma Wayland starts
                      - locks up after a random amount of time if GL multithreading is disabled
                      - locks up after a random amount of time if LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT is set
                      The effort is better spent in getting Wayland to work with the blob rather than Nouveau, at least if you want a working Wayland desktop anytime soon

Comment

Working...
                      X