Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series Linux Driver/Support Expectations

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series Linux Driver/Support Expectations

We still don't have our hands on the GeForce RTX 3080 yet and remains to be seen when we will get our hands on RTX 30 series hardware for Linux testing, but at least there's a pretty good rhythm for how the NVIDIA Linux support will play out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My expectations:

- Launch-day proprietary driver works well
    - Open-source driver doesn't work
    - 6 months later, NVIDIA allows the open-source driver to run, without re-clocking.
    - NVIDIA never releases the firmware files for re-clocking.
    - 20 years later, somebody does successful reverse engineering on the firmware encryption mechanism, and unleashes the cards' power.

Repeat for every 2 years.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 15 September 2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I haven't followed the Nvidia-Linux debacle for quite a while. Does using the Nvidia-proprietary driver allow for Optimus support in laptops?

Comment

Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post
        I haven't followed the Nvidia-Linux debacle for quite a while. Does using the Nvidia-proprietary driver allow for Optimus support in laptops?
        Yes, it does. Albeit only 20xx forward allow the gpu to power off.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          My expectations:

- Open-source driver doesn't work
          - 6 months later, NVIDIA allows the open-source driver to run, without re-clocking.

Repeat for every 2 years.
          I don't even care if re-clocking works, because it's practically useless for entry-level cards used purely just for displaying the graphical desktop. And I'm still waiting for the day Plasma Wayland can be used with Nouveau. Currently in Debian 10's and OpenSuse Leap 15.1's version of Plasma Wayland, Nouveau:
          - causes an immediately lockup as soon as Plasma Wayland starts
          - locks up after a random amount of time if GL multithreading is disabled
          - locks up after a random amount of time if LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT is set

Comment

Does anyone know if Wayland only stuff like Sway works on Nvidia nowadays? I didn't really follow in the last few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I don't even care if re-clocking works, because it's practically useless for entry-level cards used purely just for displaying the graphical desktop. And I'm still waiting for the day Plasma Wayland can be used with Nouveau. Currently in Debian 10's and OpenSuse Leap 15.1's version of Plasma Wayland, Nouveau:
              - causes an immediately lockup as soon as Plasma Wayland starts
              - locks up after a random amount of time if GL multithreading is disabled
              - locks up after a random amount of time if LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT is set
              You can always sell your Novideo card to some Windows user and buy AMD. They seem to value the cards from the green team higher than those of the red team.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

You can always sell your Novideo card to some Windows user and buy AMD. They seem to value the cards from the green team higher than those of the red team.
                AMD cards are crap. The Plasma Wayland on my R7 240 looks blurry compared to the same desktop being rendered by a GT 610 that was released a whole year before the R7 240.

Novideo makes better hardware than AMassiveDungpile

Comment

AMD cards are crap. The Plasma Wayland on my R7 240 looks blurry compared to the same desktop being rendered by a GT 610 that was released a whole year before the R7 240.
                  There is a diagnosis for that. It is called selective perception. You should probably check your resolution.

Comment

Novideo makes better hardware than AMassiveDungpile
                    Lol Novideo. I am always amused when Linuxeros blame companies for not open-sourcing their drivers, as if those companies don't compete with other GPU vendors on driver quality too. Or when Linuxeros blame the hardware when it doesn't work properly with some matchsticks-and-glue re-implementation of the official driver.

It's like when WineHQ calls software that doesn't work in Wine "Garbage" when even Wine devs themselves admit they don't have 100% API coverage even for Windows XP.

Sorry for the mini-rant. Couldn't resist.
                    Last edited by kurkosdr; 16 September 2020, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X