Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacefish
    replied
    Well h.265 is used for HD-Broadcasting (linear TV) and that´s why there are a lot of cheap hardware decoders.
    Nevertheless HD or 1440p AV1 60fps content can be Software Decoded on ~5 year old hardware, all major browser on desktop platforms (apart from Safari) support AV1 natively. Only Safari support h.265

Netflix and YouTube use AV1 for popular videos and 4k Content if the end device supports it.
    Netflix was a major contributor to the AV1 development, they for example introduced film grain extraction and simulation (relevant to their use-case, as encoding random noise pixel by pixel isn´t that efficient, if it´s "random" )

2020/2021 Gen Smart TVs (Samsung,LG) have in Hardware AV1 decoders.

With Intel SVT-AV1 encoder (which can be used in ffmpeg easily) there is a performant encoder, which is used by most of the big players as far as i know.. No one uses the reference encoder for real production work!
    There are even FPGA and RTL Encoders for live video encoding, they are currently used for HLS Live-streaming of big events to save bandwidth, but sooner or later we will see RTL encoder blocks in Smart Devices for video conferencing!

AV1 will become the new h.264 IMHO, as it´s royalty free, backed by big players and there is hardware support across all platforms in the latest generations!

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by ix900 View Post

What does that mean? While they're still working on it, Nvidia works with Wayland, and quite well today. The only issue really are those who diss Nvidia on open source.
    The same Nvidia developers sate that their support on wayland based on EGL is not as good as GBM.

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
    AMD doesn't even have full VP9 HW decoding
    Raven Ridge APU?

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

erm... h265 is dead. It has like 8% share of video. H264 is what people want...
    H.265, so called hevc is better in order of quality and compression rather than its predecessor H.264. Problem is that HEVC is onerous by royalties. So many manufacturers and other software company have decided to join themselves so to develop a new video codec called AV1.

Leave a comment:

• DebianLinuxero
    replied
    And again :

What is and when will nVidia release that Open Source announcement?

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
    Some day, between all of the useless AV1 encoders currently out there, maybe just one of them will rise up to be usable.
    Youtube serves AV1. Netflix does, too. Clearly there's at least one usable encoder out there.
    But an otherwise an invaluable contribution to a thread about AV1 decode.

Leave a comment:

• ix900
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    Excellent. It's a pity for bad support on Linux above all in WaylanD API, although proprietary drivers be good in X11 graphical stack but Mesa.
    What does that mean? While they're still working on it, Nvidia works with Wayland, and quite well today. The only issue really are those who diss Nvidia on open source.

Leave a comment:

• andreano
    replied
    I hope this enablement by Intel and Nvidia will result in more 10-bit encodes, as that hasn't been tackled in Dav1d yet – probably why it hasn't seen much use yet.

I won't be missing the obligatory blue sky banding artifacts.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Excellent. It's a pity for bad support on Linux above all in WaylanD API, although proprietary drivers be good in X11 graphical stack but Mesa.

Leave a comment:

• OneTimeShot
    replied
    Originally posted by rene View Post
    Lol, no. You clearly have no clue about digital signal processing –especially in RTL- and this modern video codecs ;-).
    Well that's a clear, well explained technical argument from you. Clearly you are an expert on hardware decoding, whereas I have only worked on software a/v decoders, so apologies for my lack of understanding.

I think you'll find if you look on Wikipedia for sub-pixel sliced block motion compensation and butterfly DCT that these are the expensive parts of video encoding/decoding and common to many codecs. Actually I found that deinterlacing and YUV to RGB conversion to pretty heavy weight as well. I guess you knew that though?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X