Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MadeUpName
    replied
    I can't deliver h.265 to any customer they all want h.264.

Decode is nice but not all that necessary. I was freaked out about all the comments about how intensive AV1 was on both the encode and decode side. I recently switched Firefox to prefer AV1 to see how it would work out. Watching "Japan in 8k" @4k/24 on YT doesn't even get the fan to spin up on my machine. BTW" Japan in 8K" is just beautiful.

4K @60 is a choker on my system so decode could be useful for that except I can't imagine ever watching some thing AV1 4K @60 other than a test.

Now on the encode side AV1 at least on Linux currently is a non starter. That AOM? ecoder runs at 0fp/s. FFMpeg has a new release comming out that will support a couple of new encoders and I hope they make a real difference. I would like to start converting all my older stuff to AV1 to free up some space and get rid of the MPEG-LA shite.

Leave a comment:

• bemerk
    replied
    Supporting new Codecs doesn't have to mean removing support for older stuff that is still heavily used in the real world

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    erm... h265 is dead. It has like 8% share of video. H264 is what people want...
    Newer video codecs are always slow in adoption. It will be years before AV1 will have a high relevance....

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Full of patents.
    both of them, h264 and h265, true. AV1, being royalty free, will help on that front. It's just not there yet.

Outdated? When almost everyone uses it?
    Yep. You don't need to consider only current usage if you want and guess things to move forward. It's the same with X11: Nowaday it's still in heavy use, nonetheless it will die for superior solutions.

Leave a comment:

• muncrief
    replied
    Aaaarrrg! I'm so sick of engineers wasting their time when I've told them the answer to fast and accurate decoding for decades.

In fact it's in the top drawer of my bedroom dresser right now!

My Captain Midnight Secret Decoder ring!

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

VCE 2.0 used to produce usable h264 encode, VCE3.0 doesn't anymore. Instead VCE3.0 produces a nice quality h265 encoding, which is superior to h264 in mostly any way.
    Full of patents.

You're looking for an outdated codec.
    Outdated? When almost everyone uses it?

Leave a comment:

• OneTimeShot
    replied
    produces a nice quality h265 encoding, which is superior to h264 in mostly any way. You're looking for an outdated codec.
    erm... h265 is dead. It has like 8% share of video. H264 is what people want...

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    Why is AMD so behind on this?...

It's 2020 and they still don't even have fast H.264 encoding, or 4:4:4....
    They still don't have ray tracing.

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    VCE 2.0 used to produce usable h264 encode, VCE3.0 doesn't anymore. Instead VCE3.0 produces a nice quality h265 encoding, which is superior to h264 in mostly any way. You're looking for an outdated codec.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied
    call me when it works in nouveau, I'm not letting any binary blobs on my computers ;-)

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X