Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3000 Series Launches With Impressive Specs, Competitive Pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    prices in absolute terms higher but in relative terms they aren't.
    absolute prices decides if people can afford the card at all or not.

Even midrange crap from NVIDIA like gtx 1650 is still 200+ euro, a comparable card from AMD is like 100-120 euro.

And I don't care about this current gen, the issue is with older gens.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I don't give a crap about current gen GPUs, I just want old gen GPU prices to not stay constant for 5 years.
      It is not, RTX20x0 is already crashing on second hand market seen yesterday 2080ti less than $500, and that's perfectly understandable, new RTX3070 should be at least on par with it, for $500, brand new (and with new features).
      I guess cards from two gen ago won't be able to sell over $200 soon (and I thing a 1080ti for 200bucks is not a steal, if you don't mind about 4k and ray tracing, it can run anything in ultra level), and, seriously, I don't think either than 2080 for more than $350 are going to be sold (because for just a "few" more, you get a new one, without taking in account what AMD has in its sleeves)

Also, not being a fanboy, but, price holds because of the lack of competition, I mean, I've a 1080ti, so two gen ago, and the best AMD card is not even able to compete with it (from what I see from benchmarks, in rasterization)

I guess everyone hope AMD will come with big surprise, something at least able to compete with the RTX3080 (but I bet more on RTX3070 level, hope I'm wrong about that)

Right now, it's better than it has been for some years, but, my fear is, if AMD come with something mheee, nVidia will increase it's prices (premium prices for premium perfs) and so will second hand market

On a brighter note, I've learnt yesterday that nVidia is using Linux internally (TinyLinux and CentOS, at least) :-)

Comment

Doing some simple math: According to rumors Big Navi will have 80 compute units. The Xbox Series X has 52 compute units and gets 12.1 TFLOPS. With cross-multiplication we get 18.6 TFLOPS for Big Navi. Compared to the 30 TFLOPS from the 3080 this looks insane. Of course this is only speculation on my side...

RTX IO is fine but compared to PS5 and Xbox Series X the compressed data is only available on the GPU side and not on the CPU side. Also the Nvme protocoll only has 2 data priority levels where Sony with it's PS5 has 6. That's the reason why Nvme SSDs have to be a little faster than the build in one on the PS5 when you want to extend the storage of the PS5. That means the Nvme protocoll is good but not ideal for gaming.

What's a bit weird is that the second fan of the high end Nvidia graphic cards will blow the hot air right to the CPU. Hmmmm...

According to heise.de the Nvidia RTX cores have nothing to do when there is no raytracing support in games. This is in contrast to the solution from AMD. When there is no raytracing the compute units simply do other work. The down side of this solution is that developers have to decide what they want to calculate on the CUs. Raytracing or classic rasterization? So the AMD raytracing solution seems to be more flexible but with less power.
        Last edited by dc_coder_84; 02 September 2020, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dispat0r View Post
          I agree AMDs graphics division has been a little bit lackluster for the high end crowd. The question is why didn't Nvidia increase there prices again but that could also be related to the world wide recession at the moment. I will be waiting for September to see if AMD is announcing something. I'm also using Nvidia for the last 10 years.
          A few reasons Nvidia did not increase prices this time.
          • The AMD competition is coming out in only 1-2 months, so it will be a head to head battle. In previous generations AMD has been hopelessly late, now things are changing because AMD has had money for a few years thanks to Zen so they could afford to spend R&D on GPUs and execute on time.
          • Unlike RDNA 1.0 this time AMD will release high end GPUs. Plus AMD has shed the architectural limitations and bottlenecks of GCN, so they can make big die GPUs with high CU counts.
          • Turing sales of the RTX 2xxx series were lower than expected.
          • Microsoft and Sony have made a strong case for next gen consoles. It is in Nvidia's interest to ensure gamers don't abandon PC, a repeat of Turing will drive some gamers away. AMD makes money either way, but Nvidia needs people to stay on PC.

Comment

As long as I have a card capable of running Unreal Tournament GOTY 469, that's enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

True, Those high end noctua coolers can keep a cpu under 80c, But they are massive! And need a very big case, Maybe low profile ram as well to keep the temps down. Your also knocking the temps up on the mainboard and increasing fan speed to get that heat out
              Not really, my friend installed a Noctua and they don't increase the temps on the mainboard by any significant degree. This of course assumes you have proper airflow in your case (but you can have the same problem with liquid coolers + radiators anyways especially if you put the pump in the wrong spot).

Originally posted by SilverFox
              . the 3090 & 3080 are going to produce a lot of heat not just on the card but also everything else inside the case, With everything on ultra your going to get close to that 93c limit on the card.
              Right, but as stated before, NVidia completely redesigned the card chassis to keep the thermals down (including even making the PCB thinner). Of course we will have to wait for reviews, but I am not expecting it to be any hotter (or maybe only trivially hotter) than previous reference cards.

Originally posted by humbug View Post
              A few reasons Nvidia did not increase prices this time.
              • The AMD competition is coming out in only 1-2 months, so it will be a head to head battle. In previous generations AMD has been hopelessly late, now things are changing because AMD has had money for a few years thanks to Zen so they could afford to spend R&D on GPUs and execute on time.
              • Unlike RDNA 1.0 this time AMD will release high end GPUs. Plus AMD has shed the architectural limitations and bottlenecks of GCN, so they can make big die GPUs with high CU counts.
              • Turing sales of the RTX 2xxx series were lower than expected.
              • Microsoft and Sony have made a strong case for next gen consoles. It is in Nvidia's interest to ensure gamers don't abandon PC, a repeat of Turing will drive some gamers away. AMD makes money either way, but Nvidia needs people to stay on PC.
              Unfortunately the battle is not in raw rasterization performance anymore, so even if AMD matches this there still isn't a solution for DLSS (and we are waiting to see how good their ray tracing is).

And yes its true that AMD is dominating console generation but that has always been the mid tier battle (which no one is disagreeing that AMD is somewhat competitive in). We are talking about high end and this isn't really an area that AMD can win just by adding more cores to improve rasterization performance (even if those cores are backed by better 7nm TSMC nodes)
              Last edited by mdedetrich; 02 September 2020, 06:45 AM.

Comment

I am probably just out of touch, all of these news stories about people's crumbling financial states... I am surprised that market supported the idea of a $499 GPU for gaming. But, it seems like a paradox if you have the money for it you probably don't have the time to game.

RX 580 is cheaper, well supported on Linux, and highly available in the US. Nvidia seems to have added application for GPU accelerated computations.

Comment

AMD is just so far behind now it's just sad to watch.

I'm no fan of NVIDIA but there's limits to how far I'm willing to go to 'support the little guy' in the name of competition. My next card is probably going to be a RTX 3070.

Comment

Originally posted by potens View Post
                    It is not, RTX20x0 is already crashing on second hand market seen yesterday 2080ti less than $500, and that's perfectly understandable, new RTX3070 should be at least on par with it, for $500, brand new (and with new features).
                    I guess cards from two gen ago won't be able to sell over $200 soon (and I thing a 1080ti for 200bucks is not a steal, if you don't mind about 4k and ray tracing, it can run anything in ultra level), and, seriously, I don't think either than 2080 for more than $350 are going to be sold (because for just a "few" more, you get a new one, without taking in account what AMD has in its sleeves)
                    Did you notice the prices were not in dollars? Assuming you are not just lying, you are in the USA while I'm not.
                    I'm in EU (one of the richer countries, not some backwater place full of poor people) and used 1080ti can be found on ebay from all EU countries for 450 euro (used) or anywhere for around 600-650 euro (new), with a 699$ launch price, 2080ti for 550 euro (used), for 1200 euro if new, with 1199$ launch price, and so on and so forth.

So no I don't see the 1080ti for "200 bucks". That's why I'm angry.

Also, not being a fanboy, but, price holds because of the lack of competition,
                    Which includes NVIDIA older cards too.
                    If all newer NVIDIA cards keep costing more and more each generation the older gens don't need to drop their current price to be cheaper, so they are not competing with each other. This is a big brain move from NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      God fucking damnit. Can they stop increasing the goddamn prices already? If they keep increasing prices every generation, all old cards are keeping their value and it's getting completely ridicolous, NVIDIA cards from 2015 are still at 400+ euro, it's insane.
                      Increasing prices? Really?

Comment

Working...
                      X