Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Launches - Linux Benchmarks Coming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Launches - Linux Benchmarks Coming

    Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Launches - Linux Benchmarks Coming

    NVIDIA has introduced its latest RTX-less, lower-tier Turing GPU... The GeForce GTX 1660 is now available starting at $219 USD...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-1660-Launches

  • #2
    This will be my next card once my 1050ti and 1060 start to feel slow.

    Comment


    • #3
      My single-fan 1060 has 3 DP, HDMI and DVI output. What's with all the single-fan 1660 cards having 1 just DP output. DP can drive HDMI and DVI, time to get rid of the legacy ports. I even use DP to drive dual-link DVI with an active converter.

      Comment


      • #4
        Is Nvidia not sending samples out anymore, or just not for mid-range parts like this?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Is Nvidia not sending samples out anymore, or just not for mid-range parts like this?
          Usually only for models that have a "Founder's Edition". And then for their AIB partners, they usually pass up inquiries for Linux review samples. So in these low/mid cards without FE models, I usually end up having to buy them.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by xorbe View Post
            What's with all the single-fan 1660 cards having 1 just DP output.
            That must be the "reference" design. It would be better if they dropped the HDMI (and associated licensing fees) in favor of another DP.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DanL View Post
              That must be the "reference" design. It would be better if they dropped the HDMI (and associated licensing fees) in favor of another DP.
              No it wouldn't because some monitors and TVs come with HDMI ports only. They'd get backlash if people started complaining about having to buy adapters.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                And then for their AIB partners, they usually pass up inquiries for Linux review samples.
                Interesting. Does AMD and its partners have a similar policy where they separate Windows and Linux users?

                I guess the Nvidia AIB partners are mostly interested in showing off their packaging and cooling solutions, which aren't Linux specific. Still, I would think that at least one of them would try and build some goodwill with Linux reviewers, for selfish reasons if nothing else. I wonder how many Linux-specific reviewers request samples of Nvidia cards.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by xorbe View Post
                  My single-fan 1060 has 3 DP, HDMI and DVI output. What's with all the single-fan 1660 cards having 1 just DP output. DP can drive HDMI and DVI, time to get rid of the legacy ports. I even use DP to drive dual-link DVI with an active converter.
                  A monitor doesn't get slower over time, people tend to keep them as long as they work and the resolution, image quality etc. are suitable for them. Removing "legacy" ports is nothing but an annoyance for people with older monitors.

                  Though I don't use analogue monitors anymore, I still think that even removing the DVI-I port is plain bullshit. It adds no value to the card, it's just a restriction on a few users, for questionable reasons.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    No it wouldn't because some monitors and TVs come with HDMI ports only. They'd get backlash if people started complaining about having to buy adapters.
                    What about the backlash from people like me who don't want to be forced to pay HDMI fees and would rather buy an adapter if necessary? Dedicated computer monitors should be using DP.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X