NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Launches - Linux Benchmarks Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post

What about the backlash from people like me who don't want to be forced to pay HDMI fees and would rather buy an adapter if necessary? Dedicated computer monitors should be using DP.
    The HDMI fee is like 15 or 20 cents per product, correct? Who pays it? The manufacturer or the customer?
    I never paid any HDMI fee. I assume Samsung paid for it?

Comment

a'm thinking of chancing my rx570 , to nvidia 1660 but not sure it will rock on debian 9.8....

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

A monitor doesn't get slower over time, people tend to keep them as long as they work and the resolution, image quality etc. are suitable for them. Removing "legacy" ports is nothing but an annoyance for people with older monitors.

Though I don't use analogue monitors anymore, I still think that even removing the DVI-I port is plain bullshit. It adds no value to the card, it's just a restriction on a few users, for questionable reasons.
        DVI-I would need external RAMDAC circuit. There ain't DACs on any of the current generation gpus, AMD dropped it from Hawaii(R9 290x) and Nvidia from Pascals.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post

DVI-I would need external RAMDAC circuit. There ain't DACs on any of the current generation gpus, AMD dropped it from Hawaii(R9 290x) and Nvidia from Pascals.
          This is true, but nothing technically prevents them from having such circuit, and let's just say extreme video card prices in the last few years (and currently) more than cover the cost.

Comment

What about the backlash from people like me who don't want to be forced to pay HDMI fees and would rather buy an adapter if necessary? Dedicated computer monitors should be using DP.
            I agree that is time for DVI to go, but HDMI is and will be useful on the PC for a long time, unfortunately. Remember: manufacturers have to design and sell products that hit the needs of the majority of users. There always be someone left on the dust, unless you are willing to pay extra for tailored, niche products.

A lot of low end monitors actually do have HDMI ports, probably because they are some modular project that also includes TV models. And there is also the multimedia aspect. If you want to plug a PC on a TV, HDMI is usually the only way. Also projectors tend to come with VGA and HDMI connections.

And this mess will become more messy when the push to use USB-C connectors for everything start to go full steam.

Comment

Closed source driver? No thanks. Vega 56 for $259 is more attractive.

Comment

This card dont only kill rx 590 also put gtx 1660ti in danger

Respect consume amd need arcturus in 2020, gcn will be die for good

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
                  The HDMI fee is like 15 or 20 cents per product, correct? Who pays it? The manufacturer or the customer?
                  I never paid any HDMI fee. I assume Samsung paid for it?
                  Costs are always inevitably passed to the consumer, that's how economics works. So even though Samsung is paying a license fee to implement HDMI, that amount is built into the cost of the monitor that they sell to retailers who eventually sell it at their own increased price for a profit to you.

Comment

We are a minority.

Apart from that I'd say DVI should just fucking die already.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                      Use Debian testing Xfce, the AMD wip kernel and Padoka ppa Mesa git cosmic version. Performance is much better than with Debian 9.8.
                      Yeah, but it's basically Arch at this point.

Comment

Working...
                      X