Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's 2018 Linux Highlights Included Some Open-Source Milestones, But Not Many

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rene View Post
    if you like binary only stuff you could also simply use Windows or macOS or so, …
    Or you could simply use Linux with closed source software.

Comment

if you like binary only stuff you could also simply use Windows or macOS or so, …
      are you saying on an OS that's supposed to be about "freedom" I shouldn't have the "freedom" to install closed-source software?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

are you saying on an OS that's supposed to be about "freedom" I shouldn't have the "freedom" to install closed-source software?
        No, I'm saying enthusiasts of an open source OS should be so honest not to recommend binary only drivers. This btw. is was open source was about, freeing and opening this basic software stack; you know these things that crashed at lot in Windows back in the day. If you want undebugable, untreatable, unfixable binary-only stuff you simply do not need an open source OS. Things like this are also why we did not had more innovation in the open graphic window system world in the last decade or two.

Comment

No, I'm saying enthusiasts of an open source OS should be so honest not to recommend binary only drivers. This btw. is was open source was about, freeing and opening this basic software stack; you know these things that crashed at lot in Windows back in the day. If you want undebugable, untreatable, unfixable binary-only stuff you simply do not need an open source OS. Things like this are also why we did not had more innovation in the open graphic window system world in the last decade or two.
          Or maybe I want to use an open source system & kernel but have no problems with closed-source userland apps.

Some people can be really slow on this forum.

Comment

Working...
          X