10 Reasons To Consider The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20 Series On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    I am neutral to nVidia and AMD, when it comes to any of these 1 meter long cards

Cards should be compact, max size of a slot and not more... else is just bullshit, big bullshit i don't care who will win there
    Something tells me you don't remember how long the full length PCI cards were (312 mm). There used to be slots at the front for mechanical support as well. Where did we go wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
      everything demonstrated was 95% ordinary texture mapping with just a little ray-tracing as icing on the cake.
      Clearly you don't understand what Ray tracing is. Ray tracing has always relied on traditional texture maps to define what the object looks like. Ray tracing just draws accurate lighting by simulating the way light bounces off of objects and surfaces. You still have to define how shiny things are, how bump mapped things are etc. But if you spend time developing your scene properly the effects available with Ray tracing are dramatically better than scenes that don't have it including going all the way to photo realistic scenes. The biggest problem with the tech demo was the lack of Fire/Water/and Glass effects which are where Ray tracing really stuns. Now, assuming that those things, and I am completely open to the possibility that they don't work. But assuming that they do, A 2080 GTX with working real-time ray tracing becomes a very compelling buy. And btw an AMD card that can do the same is also an extremely compelling buy. AMD Announced real-time ray tracing in March this year.
      Last edited by DMJC; 06 September 2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Sorry but WTF?
        This driver still can't show normal console resolution (KMS). Also Wayland...
        And stability... Vulkan hahaha DXVK developers can say about that more.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Nope, as it stands now, NVIDIA hasn't even offered to send out Turing samples - unlike with previous generations.
          So that would be reason #11 not to consider buying one? :-D

Comment

I'm not foolish enough to spend that kind of money on a video card. I paid less for my DTR laptop with a 4k screen, 8th gen i7, 16gb, dual storage, with an nvidia gpu in case I wanted to use CUDA. It would only make sense if I had a viable CUDA workload that was revenue generating.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
              Are you joking? Did you even read the previous article? 10 Reasons Linux Gamers Might Want To Pass On The NVIDIA RTX 20 Series

If anything, I respect Michael for attempting to offer a counter to the previous article.
              No, he's doing it wrong.

I get that he wants to squeeze the most articles out of this story, but most constructive way is to look at the pro's and con's in a single article. Because the way rational people make decisions is by weighing both sides of the ledger - not by considering only the pro's or only the con's.

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
                Something tells me you don't remember how long the full length PCI cards were (312 mm). There used to be slots at the front for mechanical support as well. Where did we go wrong...
                Where I think we went "wrong" is that people decided they wanted more than 3 or 4 different case shapes (mid-tower, full-tower, desktop being the main ones), and most cards no longer needed to be so long.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  What's with these articles, is this buzzfeed?
                  Nah, he just had to pay for a RTX 2080 out of pocket and is trying to squeeze more articles out of it to recoup the cost.

Maybe if we chip in, we won't have to endure so many of these pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                    Real Time Raytracing really is a "Holy Shit" moment for computer graphics. It's been wanted for years by 3D artists and the cinema industry and unlocks a very powerful tool (accurate lighting) for bringing worlds to life.
                    Don't forget refraction, reflection, caustics, depth-of-field, motion blur, etc. You can approximate these by hacks, with conventional rasterizers, but nothing beats the fidelity and elegance of ray tracing.

As cool as it is (and I'm definitely in the OMG camp), be warned that actually performance in games is not likely to be great. Once games really start to embrace ray tracing, you'll probably find these first gen RTX cards no longer cut it, and will have to upgrade to a RTX 3000-series or later. So, it's probably not a good idea to regard a RTX 2000 card as "future proof", or anything like that.

So, buy it for what it can do today, rather than on the promise of tomorrow (and how many of us have been burned by that one?).
                    Last edited by coder; 06 September 2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                      Reason #1, Toms Hardware said "Just buy it". That's good enough for me. LOLOLOLOLOL111!!!
                      For those who missed it, the infamous Tom's article is:
                      Just Buy It: Why Nvidia RTX GPUs Are Worth the Money
                      (Note: the article has been edited since originally published)

And aptly taken to task by Gamers Nexus

A cynical take on Michael's piece would be that he's trying to cash in on some of those sweet, sweet rage-clicks.

Comment

Working...
                      X