Intel Sends In The First Set Of Changes For Linux 4.16 i915 DRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

No problem I have heard GVT support is lacking in newer Intel models? 8th gen Kabylake-R for example? At least, iirc some users have tried to use it on such hardware over at r/vfio and found it doesn't work? If that's the case do you know if there are any plans to add support to these new models?
    Sorry, I am not at all involved in anything related to virtualisation. Please have them file bugs. We are actively looking at them.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      So you don't test/care about anything prior to 2004?
      To my knowledge, i810/i815 are broken and have been for years. i830/i845/i865 are wonky.

Also are there still improvements planned for Intel chips with 3rd party GPUs? Recent reports about Clear Linux support for Radeon (possibly Kaby Lake G / Vega M related) seem to indicate that Intel at least has marginal interest. But what about Atom x3 (SoFIA), will it get similar treatment when mesa-lima progresses? And the PowerVR Atoms?
      You seem to be very well informed!

From the kernel PoV, i810 is currently unmaintained:

DRM DRIVER FOR INTEL I810 VIDEO CARDS
      S: Orphan / Obsolete

i830+ (gen 2) is supported by the i915 driver, and we have been looking at bug reports with a low priority. Do you have bug reports at hand?

I think it is safe to say that PowerVR atoms are not supported upstream and will not magically get a driver now, years down the road. SoFIA Atoms have never had upstream support also as far as I know (they were limited to tablets, which are not user-flashable). As for KBL-G, we are interested in it, but the extent of our support is not yet disclosed. Sorry!

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply.
        Originally posted by MuPuF View Post
        i830+ (gen 2) is supported by the i915 driver, and we have been looking at bug reports with a low priority. Do you have bug reports at hand?
        Not at hand. I saw bug reports and forum posts coming in from our users (I am a Gentoo developer), but not recently. So either it works now, or people have moved to other hardware.

I think it is safe to say that PowerVR atoms are not supported upstream and will not magically get a driver now, years down the road.
        Right. I remember reading that Intel had contracted driver development to Tungsten Graphics as a one-off effort with no plans to keep maintaining/updating it.
        Also, when Alan Cox started the reverse engineered driver for GMA500/Poulsbo, proposals to develop it as part of i915 (to avoid code duplication) were shut down early by Intel.

SoFIA Atoms have never had upstream support also as far as I know (they were limited to tablets, which are not user-flashable).
        SoFIA Atoms were used mostly in tablets, but not exclusively.
        There was at least one smartwatch (Trekstor Smartagent) and a couple of smartphones released. Intel themselves made a demo at MWC 2016 of a dual-OS (Android+Debian) Atom x3 smartphone.
        More recently, SoFIA was repurposed to IoT and has been seen on a couple of IoT dev boards (such as Telit WE922-3GR/HE922-3GR). Yocto makes an attempt to support those.

Comment

Working...
        X