Intel Planning To End Legacy BIOS Support By 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
    Funny: I tried to disable CSM in my system, and it complained during boot because... my graphic card needs it!
    Mh, I forgot about OpROMs and cards.

So in 2020 we won't be able to use GPUs from before 2012. Are cards without a boot component affected too? (like say pcie USB 3.0 cards or non-raid SAS controller cards)

(fixed date)
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 18 November 2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      Has AMD done this yet?
      Will probably follow suit, as Intel dictates UEFI spec for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
        Soon : Intel announces the removal of keyboard support.
        Focusing on the mouse will allow developers to pursue exciting new technologies, and mitigate security issues.
        If you said touchscreen, it would make at least some sense. This doesn't make sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Will probably follow suit, as Intel dictates UEFI spec for everyone.
          im getting a New PC this week an has UEFI ( all AMD ) but is UEFI so much better than the plain old EFI?

Comment

[QUOTE=Anvil;n990207]

UEFI is just a new name for EFI... same thing. Before that it was just the BIOS... and EFI is a lot better than a plain old BIOS of course.

Comment

This 64 bit CPU thing is a fad, I'm waiting for 128 bits.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                This 64 bit CPU thing is a fad, I'm waiting for 128 bits.
                goodluck with that, you maybe Dead by the time that comes out

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  I'm kinda saddened by the loss of the legacy BIOS mode as it's a loss of options, and I laugh in the face of statements like "will mitigate some security risks" or "allows for supporting more modern technologies"
                  Of course it WILL mitigate some risks! Say, your ability to have full control over your hardware is a security threat in "DRM sponsored hardware" kind of thing. BIOS is bad at it. You see, it has been engineered in the age when computers were used to do computing. Not to goofy others, vendor lock, apply DRM or so. But hell a lot of things changed.

So it nears endgame phase. One should be really stubborn, dumb, blind and ignorant to fail to get the idea. It seems age PC has been open platform, more or less trustworthy, with no strings attached, just doing its job is at its end. So welcome to "DRM sponsored hardware" age. The age where HW betrays you, fools you and takes advantage of you on its own. That's what Intel really means. So you wanted UEFI... alright, you'll have it.

Then, few years later, I'd be damned if they wouldn't put last nail into this coffin:
                  But that's not going to force on UEFI Secure Boot unconditionally: Secure Boot enabled is considered UEFI Class 3+
                  Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I would prefer to be realistic and I'm pretty sure it would take merely few more years to finish locking everybody out. Then Intel would have godlike power to decide who is good guy and bad guy. And lock "bad" guys out. Somehow it does not seems like happy end of the story, because "good guys" wielding unimaginable power and ruling by iron fist are a bit scary thing. Especially when they mumble about DRM sponsored hardware and so on...

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Who cares, nobody clever buys intel motherboards. Intel motherboard bioses have been stripped down anyway. Asus, Gigabyte etc can support csm forever.
                    There is one little problem: AMD is also up for this foul game called "DRM Sponsored Hardware" or "Let Turn Your PC into Iphone and Windows Store" to tell it the other way. AMD has already scored "achievement" of so called "security" processors. What you think would happen next? Lol, I could imagine they would readily join the "fun" and pwn everyone. Just like Intel already does. I think Intel should be awarded IgNobel prize for raising amount of treachery and lies all around the globe. So it seems I could see the end of PC era. Which is unfortunate, I'd loved PC. I've been exciced about new CPUs, faster memory, etc. But now it's not a case. Because you'll also get brand new backdoor or maybe two and some DRM with each and every new CPU and somehow this situation deteriorates.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                      Who cares, nobody clever buys intel motherboards. Intel motherboard bioses have been stripped down anyway. Asus, Gigabyte etc can support csm forever.
                      It's Intel platform. I don't see Asus and such going out of their way to add legacy support if the chipset doesn't support it.

Comment

Working...
                      X