Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Planning To End Legacy BIOS Support By 2020

Phoronix: Intel Planning To End Legacy BIOS Support By 2020

Intel is planning to end "legacy BIOS" support in their new platforms by 2020 in requiring UEFI Class 3 or higher...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

inb4 people screaming at the obsolescence or something.

I'm kinda saddened by the loss of the legacy BIOS mode as it's a loss of options, and I laugh in the face of statements like "will mitigate some security risks" or "allows for supporting more modern technologies" as it's just a module running in the shittiest firmware architecture ever.

I wonder if there is any EFI application that can take the place of CSM/legacy bios mode.

I personally don't mind much about its loss.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I wonder if there is any EFI application that can take the place of CSM/legacy bios mode.
      Clover uses SeaBIOS to do just that.

Comment

Well, this is one area where Itanium was ahead of the curve. It has always been EFI-only since its inception in 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Clover uses SeaBIOS to do just that.

Comment

You could use coreboot with the SeaBIOS payload if you want a BIOS system.
            But that probably wouldn't work unless you had some very specific board and chipset that were supported.

Comment

Has AMD done this yet?

Comment

Funny: I tried to disable CSM in my system, and it complained during boot because... my graphic card needs it!

Comment

Soon : Intel announces the removal of keyboard support.
                  Focusing on the mouse will allow developers to pursue exciting new technologies, and mitigate security issues.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
                    Funny: I tried to disable CSM in my system, and it complained during boot because... my graphic card needs it!
                    great that you weren't left with an irrecoverable display-less system

Comment

Working...
                    X