No announcement yet.

Intel Core i3 8100: 3.6GHz Quad-Core With UHD Graphics For Less Than $120 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good little CPU, still if I was about to buy CPU now, I would go with r3 (that can be in my budget) just because it is AMD :P (ofc. cheap motherboards help too). However, I'm waiting for ZEN2, no need to upgrade yet, even tho performance advantage of i3 or r3 is big enough for resonable upgrade.

Comment

Strange how inconsistent the results are. Sometimes the 1300X is pretty much on-par and other times it is way behind. These tests are interesting though, because the lack of HT/SMT and the close base clocks really exemplify which architecture is better at what.

Personally, I think I'd rather get the 1200 and just OC it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Strange how inconsistent the results are. Sometimes the 1300X is pretty much on-par and other times it is way behind. These tests are interesting though, because the lack of HT/SMT and the close base clocks really exemplify which architecture is better at what.

Personally, I think I'd rather get the 1200 and just OC it.
        The interesting benchmark to look at is C-Ray where the architecture is concerned. It is the one benchmark that fits entirely in the L1 cache. The IPC of the execution core within Ryzen is significantly higher than Intel's competition. It is a MUCH wider design. The problem is that feeding the beast is difficult. That is why SMT increases performance of Zen cores so much more than * Lake cores. The hope would be there is a pretty decent amount of low hanging fruit for AMD to grab for the next generation of Zen. Interesting reading if you want to check it out http://www.agner.org/optimize/microarchitecture.pdf

Comment

The i3 is a good CPU, however when comparing system costs (including costs for boards) it doesn't make a lot of sense.
          Choosing a cheap AM4 motherboard gets you 6 Zen cores for the same total cost (after AMD adjusts prices) + overclocking

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
            The i3 is a good CPU, however when comparing system costs (including costs for boards) it doesn't make a lot of sense.
            Only the Z board is out currently. Once the cheaper H and B boards appear, it'll make a lot more sense to buy an i3.

Comment

Michael

At $118 for the i3-8100, and $187 for the i5-8400, the motherboard, PSU, Case, RAM & Disk are 3-5x the cost of the CPU for an entry-level i3 system - even if you use a pizza box, an old PSU and old disk.

So the i5 will utterly cream the i3 for "performace per dollar" in the real world. You really gotta consider the minimum platform cost when you make those calculations if you want them to be helpful for consumer spending decisions.

Consider the cost of the platform you performed the NAS benchmark on with the i3 and i5 and then scale the performance per dollar accordingly and you're going to see that creating a graph suggesting that the i3 gives "equal performance per dollar" to the i5 is more than a little misleading to your visitors. This is the kind of advice that will damage your credibility among readers, not just the pros. Please fix it and remove this comment.
              Last edited by linuxgeex; 07 October 2017, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
                Michael

At $118 for the i3-8100, and $187 for the i5-8400, the motherboard, PSU, Case, RAM & Disk are 3-5x the cost of the CPU for an entry-level i3 system - even if you use a pizza box, an old PSU and old disk.

So the i5 will utterly cream the i3 for "performace per dollar" in the real world. You really gotta consider the minimum platform cost when you make those calculations if you want them to be helpful for consumer spending decisions.
                It's not so simple. It all depends on the use case. I would prefer the i3-8100 over the i5-8400 because of single thread performance. 3.6GHz vs 2.8GHz is a big difference for single thread applications, like emulators. And there are some cycle accurate emulators out there that really need those extra GHz.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  Only the Z board is out currently. Once the cheaper H and B boards appear, it'll make a lot more sense to buy an i3.
                  The H370 and B360 supposedly aren't going to be out for quite a while though; some time in 2018 I think.

I think I'll put off building a new computer until this time next year and then go with Zen 2. RAM prices will have hopefully dropped a bit more by then.

If I were to build one right now it'd be an awfully close call between a Ryzen 5 1600 and an i5 8400. They end up being around the same cost but each has their own advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
                    Michael

Consider the cost of the platform you performed the NAS benchmark on with the i3 and i5 and then scale the performance per dollar accordingly and you're going to see that creating a graph suggesting that the i3 gives "equal performance per dollar" to the i5 is more than a little misleading to your visitors. This is the kind of advice that will damage your credibility among readers, not just the pros. Please fix it and remove this comment.
                    Depends on what you do. For my purposes the i3-8100 is a screaming buy. It has by far the best performance per dollar for running mprime of any CPU on the market. The i5-8400 is a waste of money because it doesn't have any additional memory bandwidth to keep its extra cores fed.

Comment

What is the lscpu result from this chip?

Does it support SHA extensions?

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X