Intel Core i7 8700K Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    So, by my advice, I need to educate myself. As my method of doing this, I'm asking you, an apparent expert in the field. Please tell me which Intel products are for me, and which are supposedly for gamers.
    Look, you're full grown man I don't need to babysit you. Obviously you're interested enough to research when you buy something that it fits your needs. Whether that product was marketed at you or not, you'll be able to determine if it'll work for you. Which is -entirely- beside the point. Whether it works for you or not doesn't matter one tiny bit for people that aren't you. (Your implication is that if it works for you then that covers everyone, and it's just plain wrong)

(Which brings us right back to the same unanswered question, what's the bigger waste for Intel?)
    Last edited by duby229; 05 October 2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Look, you're full grown man I don't need to babysit you.
      This isn't about babysitting (WTF??). It's about you backing up your arguments. You claim Coffee Lake is not for me. What is then? I want you to answer that so that we'll all be able to see you know what you're talking about.

(Your implication is that if it works for you then that covers everyone, and it's just plain wrong)
      Err, no, where did you get that from again??

(Which brings us right back to the same unanswered question, what's the bigger waste for Intel?)
      Clearly adding the L4 cache. Gamers won't make use of it anyway (they'll use a discrete graphics card), while others don't really need it.

Comment

This isn't about babysitting (WTF??). It's about you backing up your arguments. You claim Coffee Lake is not for me. What is then? I want you to answer that so that we'll all be able to see you know what you're talking about.

Err, no, where did you get that from again??

Clearly adding the L4 cache. Gamers won't make use of it anyway (they'll use a discrete graphics card), while others don't really need it.
        I never said anything at all about Coffeelake. Not all Coffeelakes are targeted at gamers but -this- one is....
        Yes you did
        No, your definitely wrong. Right now the only choice is to buy a discreet GPU and that's despite Intels marketing. You already know better, but most people don't, including bestbuy and walmart salesmen. 90% or more of the machines shipped with this exact processor will -not- have a discreet GPU. You can say a discreet GPU is required, and it is, but most won't have one.
        Last edited by duby229; 05 October 2017, 03:47 PM.

Comment

So again it's the same exact question, what is a bigger waste on this product, a GPU that doesn't meet the requirements of its target market as is, or an L4 cache that would make that same GPU usable in that same market?
          The biggest waste is trying to reason with you in this thread it seems. The IGP is the same as it has always been (i.e. good enough for everything but games), yet you've made a huge fixation on it as if Intel has ripped you off of something.
          Intel was already the better choice for gaming when it only had four cores, now it has six. For roughly the same price. That's the news today.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

The biggest waste is trying to reason with you in this thread it seems. The IGP is the same as it has always been (i.e. good enough for everything but games), yet you've made a huge fixation on it as if Intel has ripped you off of something.
            Intel was already the better choice for gaming when it only had four cores, now it has six. For roughly the same price. That's the news today.
            Except for the vast majority of people....

EDIT: Here's an 11 year old article that points out exactly what I'm saying. It's 11 years old. It's not news. You act like this is a brand new scenario, except it was old news even this article was made....
            A couple of hours ago, Epic Vice President Mark Rein opened the Develop Conference in Brighton with a keynote covering topics ranging from the economics of next-generation games, episodic content and middleware (which, incidentally, Epic makes a lot of its money from). The majority of the second half of his keynote took a critical look at Intel's place within gaming; specifically, Mark thinks "Intel is killing PC gaming".Over several slides on the topic, Mark laid out the reasons he thinks that PC gaming is being harmed by Intel. He pointed the finger at Intel's integrated graphics chips. Integrated chipsets are often incapable of playing the latest (and certainly next-generation) games at any kind of graphics settings. Despite this, they are wildly popular amongst retailers. According to Mark's figures, 80% of laptops and 55% of desktops (note: he failed to cite a source for these figures) feature integrated graphics. That's bad news for companies like Epic, which are investing heavily into extremely demanding next-generation games.If next-generation games don't run on the vast majority of computers, big-name and -money developers will lose (or have already lost) their bottom end. At the same time, the higher end is getting higher. The last year has produced widespread-SLI adoption within the hardcore PC gaming community and new technologies like Quad-SLI, Quad-CPUs, physics processors and $10,000+ PCs.Over the next couple of days we'll be exploring this keynote and other seminars from Develop in more depth, but for now we'll ask you the same questions that Mark asked the audience: Do games like The Sims, World of WarCraft and other low-budget Asian MMOs prove Mark's hypothesis, that PC gaming is going away because of Intel, wrong? Will console MMOs put the nail in the coffin of PC gaming? How come big publishers aren't placing big bets on PC gaming? (Mark says that he knows of at least two "major" developers that are considering moving exclusively to console based development, although he failed to elaborate on which ones). Will the PC market be relegated to only mass-market and casual games?

Last edited by duby229; 05 October 2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I never said anything at all about Coffeelake. Not all Coffeelakes are targeted at gamers but -this- one is....
              Ah, so specifically the 8700K is targeted at gamers, ok. Now I get your argumentation - it's not about generations as I thought, but specific parts inside a generation that target gamers or other groups.

But the thing is, all Coffee Lakes have the same GPU. So whether Intel considers a part for gamers or not is clearly not about the GPU. Which means my argumentation was correct, Intel markets the *CPU* to various groups, even though what they sell is an APU. And there you were, accusing me of "nitpicking terminology"...

No, your definitely wrong. Right now the only choice is to buy a discreet GPU and that's despite Intels marketing.
              But as was just determined above, Intel's marketing is about the CPU.

You already know better, but most people don't, including bestbuy and walmart salesmen. 90% or more of the machines shipped with this exact processor will -not- have a discreet GPU.
              So It's exactly as I said, the retailers failing to properly guide their customers. Selling "gaming" machines, which in fact aren't. That can't possibly be on Intel.

Comment

Ah, so specifically the 8700K is targeted at gamers, ok. Now I get your argumentation - it's not about generations as I thought, but specific parts inside a generation that target gamers or other groups.

But the thing is, all Coffee Lakes have the same GPU. So whether Intel considers a part for gamers or not is clearly not about the GPU. Which means my argumentation was correct, Intel markets the *CPU* to various groups, even though what they sell is an APU. And there you were, accusing me of "nitpicking terminology"...

But as was just determined above, Intel's marketing is about the CPU.

So It's exactly as I said, the retailers failing to properly guide their customers. Selling "gaming" machines, which in fact aren't. That can't possibly be on Intel.
                Don't you think that's exactly what the root cause of this decades old problem is? Intel leads the way with their marketing. They stamp stickers all over machines with their products and many of which directly target gamers. A Bestbuy or Walmart salsemen is going to sell exactly what they have. That's Intel's fault for sticking the same inadequate GPU on every product. There is no one else to blame but them.

That's not to mean it's inadequate for every computer, but basically every computer sold to a home user where gaming is expected.
                Last edited by duby229; 05 October 2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Don't you think that's exactly what the root cause of this decades old problem is? Intel leads the way with their marketing. They stamp stickers all over machines with their products and many of which directly target gamers. A Bestbuy or Walmart salsemen is going to sell exactly what they have. That's Intel's fault for sticking the same inadequate GPU on every product. There is no one else to blame but them.
                  Err, Intel is not putting these machines together. The retailers are. Or if not them directly, then they get their machines from some OEM. So if the salesemen are clueless, the OEM shouldn't be. Still not Intel's fault.

Comment

Err, Intel is not putting these machines together. The retailers are. Or if not them directly, then they get their machines from some OEM. So if the salesemen are clueless, the OEM shouldn't be. Still not Intel's fault.
                    Yes it is. Most definitely. Intel has already proven to the whole world their GPU needs an L4 cache to get decent performance out of it. They didn't put it on the products that are targeted gamers. OEM's and PC buiders are doing what Intel advertised (and contracted) for them to do, and salesmen are selling what they have. The root cause is definitely at Intel.

EDIT: I highly recommend you google search for MOAP. Intel has a long history of iron clad contracts that cut out all competition. They don't want third party GPU's shipped with their products. They'd rather their products be the only products, except that for gamers which includes almost all home PC's, their products aren't adequate.
                    Last edited by duby229; 05 October 2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

They didn't put it on the products that are targeted gamers.
                      The CPU is what's being targeted. So why are you still harping about the GPU? Intel is not claiming that their GPUs are for gaming with their marketing.

EDIT: I highly recommend you google search for MOAP. Intel has a long history of iron clad contracts that cut out all competition. They don't want third party GPU's shipped with their products.
                      That's something *entirely* different from what you've been arguing until now.

except that for gamers which includes almost all home PC's
                      [citation needed]

Seriously, only you are claiming that most home PCs are gaming machines.
                      Last edited by Gusar; 05 October 2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X