No announcement yet.

Intel Is Working On HDCP Content Protection For Linux Graphics Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ONLY Legit purpose I can see for HDCP on Linux is to have a commercial Blu-ray player software. But then again probably the best one (powerdvd) on Windows pretty much stinks and is way overpriced.

Comment

HDCP has been broken for ages, I am unsure why they even bother with it. Who makes use of it even.
      Sometimes I wish that linux was under gplv3.

Comment

This would also be used in digital cinema servers, which use HD-SDI instead of HDMI. Switching projector connectivity to HDMI 2.1 in the coming years would result in better performance and lower costs, as well as compatibility with the newer LED screens that are being shown off by companies like Samsung.

Comment

Originally posted by float View Post
          HDCP has been broken for ages, I am unsure why they even bother with it. Who makes use of it even.
          Sometimes I wish that linux was under gplv3.
          Apparently, movie industry managers know little about technology and eat whatever they are spoon fed by their "consultants", hardware industry exploits their stupidity.

HDCP's main goal currently is causing hardware incompatibility and obsolescence, as newer HDCP stuff won't work with older versions. This is fucking freat for every honest person that just bought a DVD player to watch his collection of movies he bought and then this DVD player fails to connect to the TV as it is using an older HDCP version.

Comment

Unless you have one of the earliest HDTVs with HDMI and the earliest version of HDCP or no HDCP, it's not likely you'll have a problem. Anything 2006 and newer should be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
              Unless you have one of the earliest HDTVs with HDMI and the earliest version of HDCP or no HDCP, it's not likely you'll have a problem. Anything 2006 and newer should be just fine.
              Wrong, HDCP 2.1 and 2.2 aren't retrocompatible (may depend on content though, sure 4K is out, if it works or not at lesser resolutions depends from what the content provider has decided), so we are more like talking of stuff from before 2012 and 2014 (respectively for 2.1 and 2.2).

Meanwhile, boxes that sidestep HDCP 2.2 have been made available since like 2015.

Comment

Working...
              X