Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suberimakuri
    replied
    I've been reading all the skylake dramas from a Haswell asus ultrabook. I only got it a year or so ago, so relatively late and there was some initial teething issues but were resolved quickly on debian unstable, lucky maybe.
    Before this I tried a couple of AMD laptops that had grief with power usage and hotkeys and before that an intel atom asus eeepc that was pretty flawless when I got it (~2007). Everything I read said Intel for best support and that matched my experience so I bought the asus ultrabook.

I'm tempted to replace the Haswell in a few months, but I can't bring myself to buy with nvidia onboard.
    Is there any update on Zen or relative laptop model? The mesa progress on AMD has been commendable and I wonder how it's going to pan out...

Leave a comment:

• dkasak
    replied
    I really have to agree. I've had a good 10 years worth of laptops with Intel GPUs ( all bought by employers - I swear to God I'll never buy anything with an Intel GPU ), and they've been an unmitigated disaster from start to finish. My current one ( brand new Dell Latitude E7270 with an Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2) loses all outputs when I unplug from the dock ( I guess it's DisplayPort or something, I don't know ). I'm used to building X, xf86-video-intel, mesa and friends from git in the hope that bleeding-edge code will start knocking off critical issues. 10 years and counting ...

Leave a comment:

• blae
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Skylake support has been a complete disaster from the start. I've got no idea what's going on with Intel these days.
    I agree, but in drm-intel-nightly things seem to actually stabilize now. I used to have issues with suspend, IOMMU, lots of "[drm:gen8_irq_handler] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun" errors, but now all these issues seems gone (you have to boot with intel_iommu=igfx_off). Only issue left for me is that my usb c -> hdmi dongle does not support resolutions above 1400x900 yet (this one: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93578)

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Skylake support has been a complete disaster from the start. I've got no idea what's going on with Intel these days.

Leave a comment:

• labyrinth153
    replied
    I like open source in general but similar to the reasons you describe are why I left Linux. I just need things to work. Though if I did go back I would use old supported hardware.

Leave a comment:

• pq1930562
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    I didn't think Skylake had HDMI 2 support, I though it would only be available on Kabylake
    Skylake does not have HDMI 2.0 support, but some Skylake mainboards have a LSPCon (Level Shifter Protocol Converter) which uses DisplayPort internally and converts this to HDMI 2.0 output.

Leave a comment:

• Krejzi
    replied
    Yay, no edit.

And of course, people who were there and don't like Linux (and free software in general) started shouting "Yeah, you see ... It's an amateur attempt at an OS, you can't get those trivial things working".

Sorry for the rant, had to get it off of my chest. I don't think I'll dare to use Linux for such things in the near future, it was really embarrasing.

Leave a comment:

• Krejzi
    replied
    Still, a year after the release of Skylake, grave bugs are present.

Now, a rant! I tend to use latest released kernels, with sometimes jumping the release+1 bandwagon, in late RC stage. Currently, I have 4.8.4 installed. My laptop is from HP, which has SKL hardware. As it's already known, SKL doesn't support VGA anymore, so HP added a VGA port, but it uses DP (DisplayPort?) interface. I needed to give a presentation today in a hall that has a projector connected to some kind of switch, so a different source can be selected, depending on where you sit. And the switches use VGA cable, of course. Now, I connected my laptop to the switch and to my surprise, no picture ... I couldn't get the damn thing working. After ranting a bit in #intel-gfx, I was let know that it was (supposed) to be fixed in 4.9-rc1.

Luckily (sadly?), I had a Windows install too, and by just switching to that install, I was able to get the laptop to output to the projector.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    I didn't think Skylake had HDMI 2 support, I though it would only be available on Kabylake

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Does any Intel processor support VESA Adaptive-Sync? (this is also called FreeSync by AMD)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X