Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Sandybridge = gen 6
    Ivybridge = gen 7
    Haswell = gen 7.5
    Broadwell = gen 8
    Skylake = gen 9
    So when my lspci shows:
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
    And /proc/cpuinfo has:
    Code:
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 60
    model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4712HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
    stepping        : 3
    It's a Haswell CPU, mobile, which Wikipedia claims is Intel HD 4600 GT 2 (whatever that is)...

Apparently none of the numbers line up? lspci says 4th Gen IGP. You say it's a Gen 7.5. Intel just says its a 4600 and doesn't seem to have official "generations" mentioned anywhere.

Comment

Well it is the 4th gen of the Core GPUs. But Intel had more IGP before, those have been on the chipset instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
        Apparently none of the numbers line up? lspci says 4th Gen IGP. You say it's a Gen 7.5. Intel just says its a 4600 and doesn't seem to have official "generations" mentioned anywhere.
        Core processor gen != GPU gen. As Kano says, Intel had GPUs before they had Core processors. That line is correct in that it's a GPU integrated into a 4th gen Core processor, but that doesn't mean it's a 4th gen GPU. Confusing? Definitely . This list on wikipedia is nice, though it doesn't have "half" generations, you'll find your 4600 GPU among the "Seventh generation": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ocessing_units
        Last edited by Gusar; 18 February 2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

So when my lspci shows:
          Code:
          00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
          And /proc/cpuinfo has:
          Code:
          processor : 0
          vendor_id : GenuineIntel
          cpu family : 6
          model : 60
          model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4712HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
          stepping : 3
          It's a Haswell CPU, mobile, which Wikipedia claims is Intel HD 4600 GT 2 (whatever that is)...

Haswell is a 4th gen Core CPU. lspci is just listing that you have an IGP on that CPU generation, not the GPU generation.

As for the generations i listed earlier, they are what the Intel mesa devs use, which I assume come directly from internal Intel documentation. Whether they have ever been used outside of Intel, I don't know. Probably not, as they aren't very marketing-sounding names. I think it's just the internal engineering names for each generation, similar to how AMD never uses GCN 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2 (or 1st - 3rd gen GCN), but everyone uses that to tell the differences rather than Southern Islands vs Sea Islands vs Volcanic Islands.

4600 is definitely the marketing name for that specific GPU (at a certain speed/# of shader cores) and I guess Haswell is the official marketing name for the architecture as a whole.

To be fair, I think the Mesa devs may have made up the 7.5 generation number, as it was a 7th gen GPU like Ivy but with enough differences they wanted some way of making it different to easily talk about, so they just called it 7.5.
          Last edited by smitty3268; 19 February 2016, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X