X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    I have integrated radeon on some AM2 AMD64 board and have tried ubuntus. E.g. 12.04 hanged before X desktop appeared. The installer showed up however. Also 11.x releases didn't work.
    mmm AM2 should be chipset 690G and that GPU don't have vertex shaders among other things, so i believe is way faster just to use LLVMpipe for desktops rendering because that IGP won't ever be able to be used for gaming or anything beyond OpenGL2 with software fallback for vertex shaders

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    I have integrated radeon on some AM2 AMD64 board and have tried ubuntus. E.g. 12.04 hanged before X desktop appeared. The installer showed up however. Also 11.x releases didn't work.
    AM2 should kaveri or previous generations, so ubuntu 12.04 and inferior are way too old for that hardware, if you wanna stick with ubuntu upgrade to 14.04 and add oibaf PPA, another good options are latest fedora or opensuse or arch

mmm AM2 is not FM2 my bad, in any case try ubuntu 14.04, 12.04 is really old

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    what OS are you using and which card? i have a radeon HD 4850X2, 4250, 7700 and Kabini APU and i had never seen a system hang since 3.8 kernel

and OpenGL is used for a lot more than just games, don't be an ass

BtW radeonSI driver is actually pretty close to intel support for GL 4+

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    @89c51
    AMD, from what I heard, isn't that far behind. Neither is nouveau. With intel doing most of the mesa work, all the AMD devs have to do is add support for it in their drivers. That being said...

@Caligula
    Intel is indirectly speeding up the development for other companies. Sure it might not really be in their interest since their hardware isn't going to get very far, but as long as they're willing to pitch in I'd say let them.

@DanL
    A good chunk of OGL 4.x was already completed when OGL 3.3 was released. I don't suspect it'll take as long as we think it will. I get the impression OGL 3.x features were a bit more complex, too, though I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    I still see little point in celebrating. Intel GPUs are too slow for most OpenGL 4.x games. A real gamer would buy NVIDIA. There are not much options as AMD also totally fails with their open source plans. I've tried Radeons every now and then and typically the drivers hang the machine during the first 15 minutes of testing.
    what OS are you using and which card? i have a radeon HD 4850X2, 4250, 7700 and Kabini APU and i had never seen a system hang since 3.8 kernel

and OpenGL is used for a lot more than just games, don't be an ass

BtW radeonSI driver is actually pretty close to intel support for GL 4+

Leave a comment:

• imirkin
    replied
    Well, the only place where nvc0 is behind intel is its lack of ARB_shader_atomic_counters (which are actually missing in gallium as a whole). This should not be difficult to implement, but is also not incredibly useful without some of the other direct-to-buffer extensions like ARB_shader_image_load_store and ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object. [And the ARB_clear_texture extension was _just_ checked in, but it should also not be too hard to add support for.]

For those who are looking for a bit of a status update on various GL4.0 things:

- ARB_gpu_shader5 is 95% done on nvc0 and intel -- the last piece missing is dynamic sampler referencing (and also intel apparently has issues with the multi-stream streamout stuff)
    - ARB_tessellation_shader is like 20% done -- there are patches from Fabian Bieler which do a bunch of the initial work, but there are a lot of holes. I've done a gallium implementation on top of them and nvc0 passes a few of the piglit tests. The core work will be picked up by ChrisF after he's done with gs5.
    - ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 is like 80% done for softpipe and nvc0 -- Dave Airlie has patches in a branch for core and softpipe, I have patches in a branch for nvc0.
    - ARB_shader_subroutine is 0% done (at least publicly) -- I believe someone at Intel said they may look at it, but nothing firm.

GLSL 4.00 isn't really a thing btw -- it doesn't add anything on top of, say, GLSL 1.50... it's just the collection of extensions that enable the various functionality.

And as always, if you want to find out what extensions a particular piece of hardware supports (for a released Mesa version):

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Yeap, and these will probably take quite a bit longer. So I'm not sure if the article name "getting very close to OpenGL 4.0" is very accurate...
    They're still a long way off if GLSL 4.x takes as long as GLSL 3.x

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Yeap, and these will probably take quite a bit longer. So I'm not sure if the article name "getting very close to OpenGL 4.0" is very accurate...
    I still see little point in celebrating. Intel GPUs are too slow for most OpenGL 4.x games. A real gamer would buy NVIDIA. There are not much options as AMD also totally fails with their open source plans. I've tried Radeons every now and then and typically the drivers hang the machine during the first 15 minutes of testing.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    GL_ARB_shader_subroutine, GL_ARB_tessellation_shader and GLSL 4.0 .

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Yeah i wanna hear somethnig about main ones , the hard to implement ones if you like ... GL_ARB_shader_subroutine, GL_ARB_tessellation_shader and GLSL 4.0 .

Advertising OpenGL 4.0 support is anywhere near without those .

Of course every code counts, bptc is good to have
    Last edited by dungeon; 23 July 2014, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X