• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
    I believe you mean WITHOUT AiGLX.
    I did mean without AIGLX
    Originally posted by some-guy View Post
    DRI2 was made by krh, who works for redhat NOT intel.
    Gallium3D support was written by Tungsten Graphics for intel, and intel rejected it, and never wrote a different one.
    That first sentence probably should have been written "With in the past year the intel driver has gained:"

Didn't mean to imply Intel developed all the improvements to the driver single handedly.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Putting a piece of hardware right now on FOSS drivers is like taking that tabby ally cat that is full of life and energy, cutting it's nuts off and watching it turn into a slow lethargic lump of fur that sits around and doesn't really move unless it absolutely needs to.
      Strictly speaking your analogy is backwards - a better one would be watching the slow lethargic lump of fur gradually grow nuts and come to life, just not as quickly as you would like
      Test signature

Comment

Thank you for a very informative article. It confirms what most of us Linux users have experienced when we install the latest versions of our favorite distributions on cheaper Intel based laptop and desktop systems.
        Perhaps you could recommend, in articles such as this, that for the time being, consumers considering new laptops may want to stay away from systems using Intel graphics chips. ...Particularly if they may want to ever consider running Linux on those systems or selling them to someone else who might want to run Linux on them.

So we can summarize that Intel graphics are a somewhat limiting factor in the apparent value of a laptop these days. Usable, but limiting. This makes it clear to Intel that consumers may be choosing AMD or Nvidia (any others?) because of Intel's lax position on supporting Linux with their graphics solutions. Point the finger so-to-speak at Intel.

zman58

Comment

Intel being Intel, I wonder what comments we would see here if the article was about SiS Linux support. (I happened to use Linux on SiS M760GX for 3,5 years - it unimaginably sucks)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Strictly speaking your analogy is backwards - a better one would be watching the slow lethargic lump of fur gradually grow nuts and come to life, just not as quickly as you would like
            By the time it grew nuts it would be dead.

Comment

I guess it depends how old it was at the start of the exercise. Still, this is better than car analogies
              Test signature

Comment

MeeGo tests

It would nice to see some tests of Intel Graphics using MeeGo Linux (when it is ready to do so).

I don't think that Intel would want to see Microsoft with a big graphics performance lead over its own OS. I would imagine the MeeGo Intel drivers will be open source and would also be integrated into the main Linux kernel. So things will probably improve shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I guess it depends how old it was at the start of the exercise. Still, this is better than car analogies
                  Could use the Toronto Maple Leafs as an analogy if you would like.

Comment

Hey, let's keep this civil
                    Test signature

Comment

Intel performance on Linux may be bad, but on Windows they are still horrid graphics "accelerators". A lot of the features it supposedly supports is executed in software mode by the driver thus people running anything interesting with a GMA get all kinds of weird problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X