Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How 4500 chipset driver behaves compared to windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How 4500 chipset driver behaves compared to windows?

I know that 4500hd graphic chip is not good for games, but as I want buy a laptop with this chipset I was wondering if the drivers for linux are equals or even better compared to the windows counterpart.

I'm kind of curious myself, but unfortunately(?) I don't have Windows to test with.

It's not easy to find good benchmarks to compare with, most games tested are exclusively DirectX, and the most of the reviews are a couple of years old by now.

From what I have seen though, it seems the Linux side is most likely performing as well, or better. But I'm not sure if that's because the OpenGL support on Windows is crap as some suggest.

Anyway, it should be "good enough" for casual gaming, but don't have any hope for Unigine

(FWIW, I'm playing STALKER in Wine with a X4500HD right now.)

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
      I'm kind of curious myself, but unfortunately(?) I don't have Windows to test with.

It's not easy to find good benchmarks to compare with, most games tested are exclusively DirectX, and the most of the reviews are a couple of years old by now.

From what I have seen though, it seems the Linux side is most likely performing as well, or better. But I'm not sure if that's because the OpenGL support on Windows is crap as some suggest.

Anyway, it should be "good enough" for casual gaming, but don't have any hope for Unigine

(FWIW, I'm playing STALKER in Wine with a X4500HD right now.)
      At which setting and resolution are you playing Stalker? Do you have any idea how many fps are you getting?What cpu are you using?
      BTW Thanks for the reply

Comment

Around 20-25 fps at 1024x768 with the lowest settings. CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz.

That's most likely not a very good example, but native games like Doom 3 and Quake 4 are also running okay, not really sure about the framerates though.

Comment

As I mentioned in a previous post, (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23068) I've seen concrete performance differences between Win7 home basic (stock OS of my laptop) and ubuntu lucid lynx in terms of OpenGL. To name a few programs: sauerbraten, assaultcube, neverball and neverputt, celestia. I can say the programs work approximately 5-10 fps faster in ubuntu. But for this goodness you'll have to upgrade the GFX stack to the intel's suggestions:

Comment

I started a thread asking if Michael was interested in revisiting his review of the X4500HD and doing a comparison with Windows:

Guess there's no interest or he didn't get to keep the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
              I started a thread asking if Michael was interested in revisiting his review of the X4500HD and doing a comparison with Windows:

Guess there's no interest or he didn't get to keep the hardware.
              I posted in your thread and asked for the review. I hope he will read our comments.

Comment

Maybe post in Michael's "what shall we benchmark next ?" thread instead ?
                Test signature

Comment

That thread is only for ideas involving monitoring of performance, or did Michael change his mind?

Comment

Could be. I initially read the earlier posts as looking for performance info between Linux & Windows and thought the other thread would be applicable, but I guess you would also want to see whether games actually *run* etc.., so maybe you're right to stay with a separate thread.

Carry on
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X