Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Announces Q3'2024 Arrival For Lunar Lake

Phoronix: Intel Announces Q3'2024 Arrival For Lunar Lake

Intel previously indicated that Lunar Lake processors would launch by the end of 2024 and leading to anticipation of a Q4 launch... Intel today announced that Lunar Lake will actually launch in Q3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Copilot+? What?
    Honestly I get tired of hearing AI all the time.
    Image upscaling, voice synthesis, FPS bots, whatever, that's good, but doing my homework for me? No thanks!

Comment

Another mobile generation announced? I thought Arrowlake desktop was coming before that...
      Has there been an official announcement for the latter?

Comment

Originally posted by pioto View Post
        Another mobile generation announced? I thought Arrowlake desktop was coming before that...
        Has there been an official announcement for the latter?
        For me it's all extremely confusing. Arrow Lake is slated for a Q4 2024 release which means Intel is going to have two architectures in one year.

Core Ultra 200V “Lunar Lake” arrives next quarter The first Lion Cove and Skymont-based CPU series coming soon, also the first Xe2 based product. Intel is sharing new details about its upcoming client architecture, Lunar Lake, aiming to compete with today’s Microsoft’s and Qualcomm’s next-gen Snapdragon X Series and Windows on ARM updates. Intel’s Lunar […]

I don't understand why they haven't cancelled Lunar Lake completely. What's the point?

Comment

Lunar Lake looks a lot more interesting than Meteor Lake. Interestingly, the latter was already a bit faster than AMD's 780M in terms of iGPU performance, but Intel is claiming a ~50% increase in raster performance for the Xe2 Lunar Lake iGPU. That would be huge. I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp, but I'm hoping they deliver on the IPC and perf / watt claims on the CPU side too. I'm also hoping the Snapdragon X Elite kicks ass. Having a 3 way fight with all players executing well instead of a duopoly where only 1 vendor has their shit together at any given time would be awesome for us consumers.

Comment

But how will it compare to Macbook and Qualcomm's new Snapdragon X Elite?

And when will Intel have a CPU with Intel APX instructions? and when will Intel have a x86S CPU?

Comment

And it's just pure coincidence they announce this on the same day as Qualcomm and Asus announce the first X Elite laptop 😁

Originally posted by avis View Post
              For me it's all extremely confusing. Arrow Lake is slated for a Q4 2024 release which means Intel is going to have two architectures in one year. https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-co...te-at-computex I don't understand why they haven't cancelled Lunar Lake completely. What's the point?
              Isn't arrow lake desktop only? And lunar lake laptop/mobile only?
              Last edited by dlq84; 20 May 2024, 05:03 PM.

Comment

How much performance will it lose when motherboards actually adhere to sane power limits?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Copilot+? What?
                  Honestly I get tired of hearing AI all the time.
                  Image upscaling, voice synthesis, FPS bots, whatever, that's good, but doing my homework for me? No thanks!
                  also keep in mind that it is Advertisement fraud because all the CPU NPU's are all only Inference mode low-in precision formats 8int(8 bit integer) 8fp(8bit floading point) 6fp(6bit floading point) 4fp(4bit floadingpoint) only. this means if companies like Intel talk about AI in their CPUs they mean these low precision format NPUs only.

the real big AIs all run in 32int 64int 16fp 32fp 64fp

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Would love a good modern many core OpenBSD box, Lunar Lake should be supported in 2027 by then at which point it will be old hat.

I'm personally torn because the last good OpenBSD ThinkPad was the X1 Carbon Gen 9, every newer X1 Carbon has had problems. I don't really want to buy an X1C gen 9 in 2024 because it has a quad core processor, just four cores, they are P cores at that but I want one of these 20 core Intel chips in a laptop for faster everything. So yeah just because the graphics and CPU will be supported by 2027 doesn't mean the web cam or sound will be.

Heck even running something like this on Debian will take till 2026 or something because of the kernel version needed to run this new hardware.

I'm sick and tired of needing to almost run the latest Linux kernel for support. Up stream this stuff years in advance so it has time to work down to LTS kernels and LTS Enterprise Distros like Debian and even the BSDs.

This is why I never buy the latest and greatest hardware day one.

Comment

Working...
                    X