No announcement yet.

Intel Core i3 14100 / i5 14500 vs. AMD Ryzen 5 8500G / 8600G In 500+ Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i3 14100 / i5 14500 vs. AMD Ryzen 5 8500G / 8600G In 500+ Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Core i3 14100 / i5 14500 vs. AMD Ryzen 5 8500G / 8600G In 500+ Benchmarks

As part of the recent AMD Ryzen 5 8500G and 8600G Linux reviews I ended up picking up the Core i3 14100 and Core i5 14500 Raptor Lake Refresh processors for the similarly-priced Intel competition. It's not too often receiving review samples from Intel of the lower-end processor SKUs, so I'm back around today with even more benchmarks of these lower-tier AMD and Intel processors. In this article are 500+ benchmarks looking at the CPU and iGPU performance of the Intel Core i3 14100 and Core i5 14500 processors up against the AMD Ryzen 5 8500G and Ryzen 5 8600G processors under Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I you did a typo, the 8600g has the radeon 760m, not the 780m.

Comment

I appreciate the subcategories for geometric mean - could we also see one for performance-per-watt, at least in the future?

Comment

Michael

Good article with lots of content, thanks for that.

I think however you could enhance these types of articles very easily from your perspective but add valuable data points for your readers.

Use a Kill A Watt of the entire system, I have found that what is reported at the outlet does not jive with the readings you get from software.

I would also do a test that simply looks at the amount of time it takes to run the complete test suite from start to finish, because as you mentioned these processors trade punches, in some test Intel is ahead and in some AMD is ahead and I think it would be interesting to see in the grand scheme of things, which is actually fastest.

Comment

I generally do not spend more than $200 on a CPU and the same applies for GPU's and no more than $100 on a motherboard.

With these limitations, the comparison for me is between the $130 i3-14100 and the $170 8500G, these are the prices on Micro Center.

For me, I would pick the i3-14100 and pair it with a $100 Arc A310 ECO.

I can't bring myself to go with the higher end offering because all indications are that next year NVIDIA will launch its ARM based desktop CPU and there are rumors that AMD will also launch an ARM based desktop CPU, so it may be that these processors are made obsolete real fast.

Comment

That i3 hangs in there pretty good with cpu's twice the price. I mean other than graphics. For a basic office/browsing/email computer, that i3 would probably be the way to go.

Comment

Michael could include some benchmarks of opening a few Phoronix tabs. The ads really spin my fans up like no other websites do.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                Michael could include some benchmarks of opening a few Phoronix tabs. The ads really spin my fans up like no other websites do.
                This could be a friendly reminder to subscribe to Phoronix Premium

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  I generally do not spend more than $200 on a CPU and the same applies for GPU's and no more than $100 on a motherboard.

With these limitations, the comparison for me is between the $130 i3-14100 and the $170 8500G, these are the prices on Micro Center.

I can't bring myself to go with the higher end offering because all indications are that next year NVIDIA will launch its ARM based desktop CPU and there are rumors that AMD will also launch an ARM based desktop CPU, so it may be that these processors are made obsolete real fast.

Even if AMD release ARM based CPU's I don't think these processors will be made obsolete, there's still many software limitations on ARM chips that will prevent them from taking off any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Not really, no. The vast majority of games are x86. If you intend to game on those, you cannot use ARM cores. If not, then you don't care about the igpu performance either, it is adequate. If you need the gpu for computing, then your budget will probably be much higher anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X