Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i3 14100 / i5 14500 vs. AMD Ryzen 5 8500G / 8600G In 500+ Benchmarks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    That i3 hangs in there pretty good with cpu's twice the price. I mean other than graphics. For a basic office/browsing/email computer, that i3 would probably be the way to go.
    AMD hasn't been a good choice for budget cpus for quite a while now. And a few months from now when Arrow Lake gets released, the gap in graphics will probably close anyway, for similar prices.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

      AMD hasn't been a good choice for budget cpus for quite a while now. And a few months from now when Arrow Lake gets released, the gap in graphics will probably close anyway, for similar prices.
      Neither Intel is valid in the budget range. The best choice right now for the budget segment is AM4. You get decent cpu and decent GPU, altough technically outdated. Ddr5 platform are way too costly in terms of price/performance

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by blackshard View Post

        Neither Intel is valid in the budget range. The best choice right now for the budget segment is AM4. You get decent cpu and decent GPU, altough technically outdated. Ddr5 platform are way too costly in terms of price/performance
        I disagree. DDR5 is not much more expensive than DDR4, and the 5 makes Intel UHD 770 competitive in graphics over AMD with DDR4. Both igpus are ram bandwidth limited. I would rather get a modern Intel with DDR5 than any AM4. At least with the Intel you can always add a gpu later and have a very competitive gaming pc if you so wish, while the AM4 is obsolete.

        Sometimes people really need to leave their amd fanboysm aside.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by blackshard View Post

          Neither Intel is valid in the budget range. The best choice right now for the budget segment is AM4. You get decent cpu and decent GPU, altough technically outdated. Ddr5 platform are way too costly in terms of price/performance
          Yeah intel igp are trash until 4600G/5600G igp (vega 7) rape so hard core i3 igp (uhd 730) (pat fault of course), maybe when comes with arc igpu perfomance improve but for now with igp amd is only option in value*

          *in my case buy my 4600G in 99us and msi pro B550-VC in 99us, both in 200us are very good deal

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            Not really, no. The vast majority of games are x86. If you intend to game on those, you cannot use ARM cores. If not, then you don't care about the igpu performance either, it is adequate. If you need the gpu for computing, then your budget will probably be much higher anyway.
            I didn't realize that you couldn't game on ARM processors, i hope someone tells all those Mac gamers that they are imagining what they are doing:

            Check out the Jawa Black Friday sale, Ultimate Tech Tuber Gift Guide and $1800 Gaming PC Giveaway here! https://bit.ly/JawaATNov23Jawa's Ultimate Tech Tuber ...


            Get an exclusive @Surfshark Black Friday deal! Enter promo code ATDEAL to get up to 6 additional months for free at https://surfshark.deals/atdealGet the new...


            Considering I was referring to NVIDIA ARM based CPU's and considering that Microsoft is getting ready to release an Windows version for NVIDIA's ARM CPUs, I think gaming will be just fine.


            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

              I didn't realize that you couldn't game on ARM processors, i hope someone tells all those Mac gamers that they are imagining what they are doing:

              Check out the Jawa Black Friday sale, Ultimate Tech Tuber Gift Guide and $1800 Gaming PC Giveaway here! https://bit.ly/JawaATNov23Jawa's Ultimate Tech Tuber ...


              Get an exclusive @Surfshark Black Friday deal! Enter promo code ATDEAL to get up to 6 additional months for free at https://surfshark.deals/atdealGet the new...


              Considering I was referring to NVIDIA ARM based CPU's and considering that Microsoft is getting ready to release an Windows version for NVIDIA's ARM CPUs, I think gaming will be just fine.

              This is with emulation (and unlike Proton which doesn't emulate a cpu, it does have a performance hit), and it is not perfect. Besides, no one buys a Mac to play games. Yes you can play some games on Macs, but it is not an ideal gaming platform.

              And most importantly, it is not about budget apus, which was what we were discussing prior in the first place..... My arguments still stand and are valid. Anyone who wants a budget apu for light gaming will go to x86. And if he has a larger budget, he still will go for x86 and pair them with a huge gpu. He won't buy a mac.

              Comment


              • #17
                Does the i5 really peak at 200 W or is that a measurement error?

                Comment


                • #18
                  How does the energy consumption compare in a real world scenario? Where the CPU is idle a significant fraction of the time.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    O.o
                    Well, on an interesting side-note it was found by gamers that something is wrong in some recent intel CPUs. There were strange crashes. Digging deeper it was found that RADgametools got a hiccup, RADgametools then debugged the thing and found that the CPUs clocked higher than what was good for them (by default) and thus some data got messed up, the integrity checks noticed and ended things.

                    German languaged sources:
                    Vor allem PC-Spiele mit der Unreal Engine 5 stürzen bei einigen Nutzern mit Speicherfehlermeldungen ab. Schuld sind offenbar überreizte Intel-Prozessoren.



                    English by RAD
                    RAD Game Tools' web page. RAD makes Bink Video, the Telemetry Performance Visualization System, and Oodle Data Compression - all popular video game middleware.

                    they even suggest downclocking.

                    Ouch.
                    Is this intel again doing the race without helmet, brakes and safety-belts? (like back in the meltdown days?)
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      It will be interesting to see future pricing for the 8500G and 8600G. For reference the 5600G went down to as little as 80-120 USD in 2023. The 8600G in particular may retain enough of the 8700G's graphics performance to be useful, while not having the PCIe limitations of the 8500G.

                      The meme cores don't seem to help the i5-14500 much. I'd like to see AMD do their own spin on it, with an 8+16 Zen 5/5C.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X