Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Prepares For New Adaptive Sharpening Filter Coming With Lunar Lake's Xe2 Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Prepares For New Adaptive Sharpening Filter Coming With Lunar Lake's Xe2 Graphics

Phoronix: Intel Prepares For New Adaptive Sharpening Filter Coming With Lunar Lake's Xe2 Graphics

A new feature coming with the display engine on Intel Lunar Lake's Xe2 graphics is an adaptive sharpening filter that has minimal power and performance impact...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On the one hand nice. On the other CAS is already close to being for free on even slow GPUs and doesn't cause ringing. So if really every tiny bit of image processing needs to be wired to fixed function units...

Would rather hear news about drastically reduced ghosting of distant moving objects with XeSS, as this still looks horrible.

Comment

Intel already has a hardware sharpening filter, i use it on my Ice Lake laptop, they call it detail enhance and it's part of vpp.

It's like a combination sharpening and denoise filter and it works pretty well.

If this is even better, then sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        On the one hand nice. On the other CAS is already close to being for free on even slow GPUs and doesn't cause ringing. So if really every tiny bit of image processing needs to be wired to fixed function units...

Would rather hear news about drastically reduced ghosting of distant moving objects with XeSS, as this still looks horrible.
        I was thinking "Is this just cas for intel" myself

Comment

I'm probably the only one here that opposes the use of image filtering of any kind.

It literally adds nothing.

If I turn the resolution of my game down and turn up sharpening on my television, sure the image looks different... but it is not any better!

I truly hate sharpening and the same is true for image upscaling, it adds nothing but cost for what is essentially a software added functionality.

The same is true for fluid motion, motion plus, frame generation and a bunch of other techniques to make you feel like something changed when actually nothing really changed.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by sfjuocekr View Post
            it adds nothing but cost for what is essentially a software added functionality.
            ​​​​​
            Upscaling + sharpening vs Native rendering can literally be the difference between 30fps and 60+fps...

Comment

Working...
            X