Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's FRED Looks Like It Could Be Ready For Linux 6.9

Phoronix: Intel's FRED Looks Like It Could Be Ready For Linux 6.9

For the better part of two years we've seen Intel open-source software engineers working on preparing the Linux kernel for FRED, the Flexible Return and Event Delivery for defining new transitions for changing privilege levels. Intel's been working hard on the FRED kernel plumbing for better performance, lower response times, and improved robustness and it's looking like FRED could be set to land come Linux 6.9...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by avis
    Michael

You might have overlooked a massive beta update of the NVIDIA Linux driver:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driv...s.aspx/218153/
    Nope, it's right here:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by subiduby View Post
      Somehow my brain totally skipped through it. Sorry, thanks!

Comment

I don't see myself buying any new Intel CPU (or AMD for that matter either).
        Intel still haven't made any x86S (which is a streamlined x86 architecture that ditches 32-bit, 16-bit, real mode, ring 1 and 2 and a bunch of other legacy stuff), they still haven't made any CPU with the new APX instructions. I don't even know why they make their own APX which has no ecosystem support yet instead of just going with ARM or RISC-V.

What will AMD do when Intel does APX? Are AMD allowed to use APX via their cross-license agreements with Intel?

I think AMD and Intel is about to get tough times now that Amazon and Microsoft are making their own ARM CPUs for the data centers, Alibaba is making their own RISC-V CPU for the data centers. So Xeon and Epyc have tough times ahead. I wonder how long until Meta, Oracle and IBM starts going more in on ARM and/or RISC-V too.

Both Qualcomm and Nvidia are working on ARM CPUs for desktops, laptops and workstations so Intel Core and Ryzen is going to have a though time ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I don't see myself buying any new Intel CPU (or AMD for that matter either).
          Intel still haven't made any x86S (which is a streamlined x86 architecture that ditches 32-bit,
          They don't drop 32bit or lower. the core will boot up in 64bit long mode (I think at the moment they start with 8086-compatible real mode), real mode and virtual-8086 mode will be dropped (so no MSDOS and no EMM386), but the cpu will keep on executing all previous code, just not stuff that was designed to run on bare-metal pre-80386-designed stuff...

Originally posted by uid313
          I think AMD and Intel is about to get tough times now that Amazon and Microsoft are making their own ARM CPUs for the data centers, Alibaba is making their own RISC-V CPU for the data centers. So Xeon and Epyc have tough times ahead. I wonder how long until Meta, Oracle and IBM starts going more in on ARM and/or RISC-V too.
          I've been reading prophecies like yours about x86 for at least 15 years now, and yet x86-64 reigns supreme in the datacenters and desktops. I'm not worried, and both amd and intel have shown that there's still life left in x86.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
            I've been reading prophecies like yours about x86 for at least 15 years now, and yet x86-64 reigns supreme in the datacenters and desktops. I'm not worried, and both amd and intel have shown that there's still life left in x86.
            Yeah, and things have happened since those 15 years.

Apple moved from Intel to ARM on their Macbooks. Dell and HP have nothing to compete with the Macbook, so developers are picking Macbooks over Dell XPS and HP EliteBook. Their cheaper laptops are facing competition from ARM-based Chromebooks.

Microsoft launched the Surface series of ARM-based laptops.
            Nvidia is competing with Intel and AMD but they both got a x86 license, and they don't, so their making a ARM-based CPU.
            Qualcomm is partnering with Microsoft and making their new Oryon CPU for Windows PCs.

Intel and AMD can still improve their CPUs by shrinking the fabrication technology to 3 nm and 2 nm, and they can improve the integrated GPU on the CPU, since it has an entirely different architecture than x86, other then that, its getting though, and every new CPU generation is running hotter, using more electricity and being harder to cool than the previous one.

Comment

Working...
            X