Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Meteor Lake CPUs Will Be Able To Clock Higher On Linux 6.8

Phoronix: Intel Meteor Lake CPUs Will Be Able To Clock Higher On Linux 6.8

Following last week's Linux 6.8 power management updates, Linux PM/ACPI subsystem maintainer Rafael Wysocki of Intel sent out a secondary set of changes this morning. Most notable with this second round of power management material is allowing Intel Core Ultra "Meteor Lake" processors to clock higher with the P-State CPU frequency scaling driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My only concern with AMD and Intel P-State is that it has always been a black box. Maybe there's a good reason and it'll never change, but I've only ever seen the tunables that indicate your performance or efficiency bias. I've never seen something that tells us exactly what that makes the chips do (e.g. Limit TDP, limit clockspeeds, configure them to do 'X').

Just a minor frustration, but maybe I haven't been looking in the right places for documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
      My only concern with AMD and Intel P-State is that it has always been a black box. Maybe there's a good reason and it'll never change, but I've only ever seen the tunables that indicate your performance or efficiency bias. I've never seen something that tells us exactly what that makes the chips do (e.g. Limit TDP, limit clockspeeds, configure them to do 'X').

Just a minor frustration, but maybe I haven't been looking in the right places for documentation
      There's no such information. It's exactly that, a hardware-level black box. Instead of controlling the frequency from software, it just tells the CPU "I want this relative level of performance vs power saving" and then the CPU adjusts its own frequency itself.

Comment

now the problem for me is: amd or intel laptops? before MTL i was sure for amd but now....
        i wanted amd for 780M performance (plus a discrete GPU) cause intel was so bad with iGPU plus much power consumption
        the thing that makes me reluctant for intel is that intel seems to have vulnerabilities that affects too much the cpu performance....i wonder how many will be discover in the near feature
        i know amd has vulnerabilities too but i don't rememeber to have such a big impact compared to intel.

but maybe i don't remember correctly

Comment

Given this black magic it is surprising that Linux can beat Windows in similar workloads at all.

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post
            Given this black magic it is surprising that Linux can beat Windows in similar workloads at all.
            First of all, the windows cpu drivers work exactly the same way. CPPC is a hardware feature.

Second of all, the entire windows operating system is one big "black box", so I'm not sure how this brain dead comment could be taken beyond a shit-tier troll attempt

Comment

Working...
            X