Intel Integrated Graphics Performance From Gen9 To Meteor Lake Arc Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Integrated Graphics Performance From Gen9 To Meteor Lake Arc Graphics

Phoronix: Intel Integrated Graphics Performance From Gen9 To Meteor Lake Arc Graphics

With my Intel Meteor Lake benchmarking that began last week with the Intel Core Ultra 7 155H within an Acer Swift Go 14 laptop, the area I've been most impressed by so far with this new generation of Intel mobile processors is the integrated Arc Graphics performance. In a prior article I showed how Intel Meteor Lake graphics are a big upgrade and now competing with AMD RDNA3 integrated graphics while also capable of delivering better power efficiency. That led me to some curiosity-driven holiday benchmarking to show how Meteor Lake graphics have evolved over the past several generations of Intel mobile processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Guess it is time to finally upgrade my Intel i740 dGPU sometime soon ;-) https://t2sde.org/packages/xf86-video-i740

Comment

Arc really does do a good job in this setting.
      Sometimes I think Intels weakness is part not seeing things through.
      I've stopped counting all the times they've opened a new frontier, showing a lot of promise only to shut it down soon after.

Lets hope the Arc GPU family gets the continuous investment it deserves.

Comment

Really seems like Core Ultra 7 155H is the first truly good intel graphics.

Comment

It amazes me that with Intel making gpus since 1998 they didn't really make a serious push to get into the discrete graphics market until Arc after making some early in the first generation of their gpus.

Comment

I just remembered that I still have Unigine Superposition installed, so I decided to try it with the same 1080p low settings on my Ryzen 7 6800H laptop (running Arch Linux with kernel 6.6.8, Mesa 23.3.1 and Plasma 6 Wayland), and it got an average of 64.70 FPS with a 93.77 FPS maximum, compared to the Core Ultra 7 155H's 67.7 FPS average and 93.7 FPS maximum.

Interestingly though the Ryzen 7 7840U from the previous benchmarks got a 65.3 FPS average with a 92.6 FPS maximum, hardly any better than my 6800H, wonder what's going on there, but either way it is indeed quite an impressive showing from Intel.

Comment

Michael , can you give us any more information about what speed the 155H's memory is running at?

Also, is it regular DDR5, LPDDR5, or LPDDR5X? The information I can find on that laptop model suggests the middle option, but it'd be nice to know what dmidecode says.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                Really seems like Core Ultra 7 155H is the first truly good intel graphics.
                There's a little bit of a caveat there: this may be Intel's first all-around truly good GPU. Intel for the better part of a decade made pretty good GPUs if you ignored 3D performance. Their chips were very efficient and optimized for media and general purpose desktop use.

Comment

My understanding is that for integrated GPUs, the performance is ~1.25X if the Memory/RAM is slotted in dual-channel.
                  In the description of the benchmarks, I only see 16Gb of RAM listed. Is that 2x8Gb (dual) or 1x16Gb (single) for each of these laptop models?

Comment

As regulars here know I despise Intel, but I have to give them kudos for the progress they've made with there iGPU. I'd be interested to see how their latest compares to AMD's latest, so if you have time could you please put up benchmarks comparing them Michael?

Comment

Working...
                    X