Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Meteor Lake Arc Graphics: A Fantastic Upgrade, Battles AMD RDNA3 Integrated Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Meteor Lake Arc Graphics: A Fantastic Upgrade, Battles AMD RDNA3 Integrated Graphics

Phoronix: Intel Meteor Lake Arc Graphics: A Fantastic Upgrade, Battles AMD RDNA3 Integrated Graphics

Yesterday I posted the first Intel Meteor Lake Linux benchmarks that were focused on the CPU capabilities with the Intel Core Ultra 7 155H on Ubuntu Linux compared to the existing AMD Ryzen 7 7840U. The strictly CPU core performance ended up being rather disappointing with the AMD Zen 4 laptop dominating in most cases at similar or better power efficiency. But where things become much more interesting -- and competitive -- with Meteor Lake is on the integrated graphics side now featuring Arc Graphics. The benchmarks today is our first look at the new Meteor Lake Arc Graphics with the Core 7 Ultra 155H while comparing it to the RDNA3 integrated graphics found with the AMD Ryzen 7 7840U as well as the prior generation Intel integrated graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very unexpected! I really hope this makes AMD step up their APU game.

Comment

Wow.. considering RDNA3 has been out in the wild for a year and given all the growing pains with Intel's driver stack, this is a very impressive launch-day showing.

Comment

Who would expect that top CPU with maximum turbo power of 115W (or assured power of 65W) beats CPU for ultrabooks by astonishing 8%!

You should be really crazy to buy anything from team blue today. Unless you have free electricity and need some high-tech heater in your house LMAO.

Comment

Competition, it's a very good thing. How far we've come since Intel introduced the core 2 duo that crushed AMD's CPU offerings, AMD graphics were available only with the dodgy fglrx driver and Intel just didn't do 3D.

Being a collector of modern rubbish video cards, I look forward to seeing an APU from Intel or AMD that utterly outperforms my RX 6400 and A380 while using a fourth of the power of either.

Comment

"battles AMD RDNA3", such an euphemism. The results say is bests AMD RDNA3 in almost every benchmark, AMD's wins are mostly on Tesseract. And then you realize AMD is also a no show for compute...

I expect the graphics/gaming aspect will not even have that big an impact, the IGP will still fall into the "light gaming" (whatever that means) category. But compute tends to be increasingly more present, things like Photoshop or Darktable will put OpenCL to good use when available, actually speeding up stuff that needs to be sped up.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
              Who would expect that top CPU with maximum turbo power of 115W (or assured power of 65W) beats CPU for ultrabooks by astonishing 8%!
              Read the graphs carefully: Intel beats AMD in gfx while usually drawing less power.

Comment

If I understood correctly, the AMD Framework uses DDR5-5600 memory and the Intel uses some variant of LPDDR5x (I have no idea which - do you know Michael?). Would love to see a comparison when AMD APU is connected to LPDDR-6400 as that would alleviate at least some of the bandwidth discrepancy. Still, Intel seems to have invested more die space for iGPU than AMD did in Phoenix.

Comment

Would love to see video encode benchmarks - a NAS built with something like this would be ideal for Jellyfin.

Comment

Pretty good, although the Framework laptop does limit RAM speed to 5600, while the 7840U supports up to LPDDR5x-7500 (34% more bandwidth). Considering that RAM bandwidth has a great effect on iGPU performance, this could change the picture quite a bit.

Intel will still have a power advantage, most likely.

Still, LPDDR also takes less power than DDR, so there's a chance this affects both load power and idle power. It will be interesting to compare to a 7840U with LPDDR.

Comment

Working...
                    X