Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core Ultra 7 155H Meteor Lake vs. AMD Ryzen 7 7840U On Linux In 300+ CPU Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brunosalezze View Post
    Thank you Michael, can you add a full perf/watt comparation at the end, just like the big one you create for just performance? One of the big claims Intel did for meteor lake was the efficienty. Since these are mobile chips, if you can add a M3 laptop would be perfect.
    Unfortunately I have no M3 hardware. As for full perf/watt will have more data on the efficiency side in follow-up articles... Was a busy past few days.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by crudeboil View Post
      Some people asked about DRAM:

Framework 13 AMD uses 5.6 GHz DDR5 SO-DIMMs

New Acer Swift Go 14 with Meteor Lake uses 7.467 GHz LPDDR5x (seen it on other Windows reviews with the same device)

This is not a "cheap" Laptop. It's a nice compact device with a beautiful OLED display. I'm considering buying one but I'm not sure about the runtime. The HP Pavilion Plus 14 with 7840U and similar OLED display and better runtime might be a better choice after this review . Not sure about Linux on that device though.
      Unless you intend to replace those OLED laptops in the next 2 years, don't buy them. OLEDs have a built in lifetime that no burn-in protection will entirely solve. It's a physical limitation because organic components have a limited lifetime. Just turning them on burns life time even if you don't have static imaging. This is basic chemistry/physics and no currently in use mitigations will extend their lifetime to those of LCD/LED panels (OLEDs last months versus LCD back lights lasting years). LCD screens merely grow dim, OLEDs change color over their lifetime as the organic components degrade at different rates leading to inaccurate color representation and additional eye strain. Since I have monitors and laptops that are over 5 years old and still have decent time left on their clocks, you couldn't even pay me to have OLEDs if I'd end up having to replace the monitor every 2-3 years because the organic components have degraded to an unacceptable degree. No thanks.

Comment

Intel already payed off a bunch of Youtube reviewers to sing the praises of the new Core Ultra processors. Am I surprised to see the real performance and efficiency tests paint a different picture? Not really.

Comment

Originally posted by Radtraveller View Post
          Too bad there aren’t any laptops with 128gbs of soldered ram… at least that I can find..
          y u need 128GB? Are you runnin unreal and python ?

Comment

Did everyone miss the part where Michael said that the current Linux kernels do not fully support Meteor Lake and he had to use a release candidate kernel?

Meanwhile the Ryzen 7 7840U was released on May 3 and Linux support has had a chance to fully bake.

Let's wait for 6 months to see how Meteor Lake performance is after Linux support has caught up.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              Did everyone miss the part where Michael said that the current Linux kernels do not fully support Meteor Lake and he had to use a release candidate kernel?

Meanwhile the Ryzen 7 7840U was released on May 3 and Linux support has had a chance to fully bake.

Let's wait for 6 months to see how Meteor Lake performance is after Linux support has caught up.
              I said out of the box on Ubuntu 23.10 with Linux 6.5 is where networking and other support on the Acer Swift Go 14 was missing. But on Linux 6.6+ there is Meteor Lake graphics by default, etc. All major functionality should be there with Linux 6.7 Git as tested but it's a matter if any more improvements -- or like CPUfreq / scheduler optimizations -- come in the near future. So far i haven't seen any major optimizations/improvements for MTL pending beyond what's in 6.7 Git.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

y u need 128GB? Are you runnin unreal and python ?
                Many vms, multiple k8s clusters 32tb of nvme drives.. on my dual 20/40 c/t cpu workstation with 256gb ram.. just figure something half the cpu, ram and storage and I could take some work with me…. Go work ata coffee shop or something and get out of the “office” once in awhile…. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by danger View Post
                  Intel already payed off a bunch of Youtube reviewers to sing the praises of the new Core Ultra processors. Am I surprised to see the real performance and efficiency tests paint a different picture? Not really.
                  Intel doesn't have to pay them. That's the beauty of Youtube - Youtube pays people to do fake reviews all by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Radtraveller View Post
                    Too bad there aren’t any laptops with 128gbs of soldered ram… at least that I can find..
                    intel 13th gen hx can support up to 192 gb ram.
                    it's not soldered lpddr, but there are many raptor flame gaming laptop with dual sodimm

Comment

PCMag has a review of this same Acer Swift Go 14 laptop up and is saying that the results are limited by the 28 watt restriction for the laptop, and that you won't see the true Core Ultra 7 155H performance until a laptop with the full 45 watts is available. What's that all about?

I see on the Intel spec site these power listings:
                      HTML Code:
                       Processor Base Power 28 W
                      Maximum Turbo Power 115 W
                      Minimum Assured Power 20 W
                      Maximum Assured Power 65 W
                      Is this chip available in a 45 watt laptop configuration?

Comment

Working...
                      X