Intel Will Submit New Xe Kernel Graphics Driver Soon - Likely For Linux 6.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

iHD is the user mode VAAPI driver (for some Intel GPUs), and the i915 is the kernel mode driver.
    i915 is also the Gallium driver for older Intel graphics like the 915GM, 945, 965, etc motherboard iGPUs

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Driver development already funded by purchasing the card. Intel needs to fix their shit.
      Fortunately, the i915 driver supports the card as shipped. If you want new features, prepare to pay (either with your own work, or work you fund).

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Fortunately, the i915 driver supports the card as shipped. If you want new features, prepare to pay (either with your own work, or work you fund).
        buying the gpu is paying for those features, that being said, i915 supports the majority of features now and upcomming features so I dont see the issue unless you need arm or riscv

Comment

I don't consider the driver supporting the card as shipped until it has at least some feature parity with what MS Windows gets for the same GPU:

* ASPM / power management that can be made to work (i.e. has documentation, API, supported implementation) on LINUX so the nearly idle power goes to a level as low as achieved in MSW.

* Clock / fan / temperature monitoring / control documentation, APIs, control panel / CLI utilities

* LED control via supported documentation, API, utility

I have not heard of a single person who on any version of LINUX regardless of the ASPM L1/L0 state option setting capability of their motherboard / BIOS and regardless of kernel / i915 driver version / OS distribution has gotten an ARC 3/5/7xx GPU to use as low "idle" power as on MSWin in comparable cases of monitor count / resolution / refresh rate / interface. If Intel wants to blame that on something about LINUX rather than i915 / ARC then they need to provide documentation / APIs and suggestions upstream to "go fix x,y,z" in the rest of LINUX so that it is practicable.

AFAIK my other PCIE devices / other OEM GPUs seem to have working & utilized ASPM power savings functions on LINUX.

And, really, no temperature / fan / clock monitoring / control, what, is that a whole 1-page of API documentation or interface functions they'd have to write?

Comment

Originally posted by shanedav4 View Post
            The Xe driver does not fully support the current generation of Arc Alchemist cards and Intel has said it never will. We'll have to jump back and forth between i915 and Xe depending on what your doing. Battlemage will be fully supported though by Xe.
            What? So Integrated GPUs will, but current Arc dGPUs won't?

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

What? So Integrated GPUs will, but current Arc dGPUs won't?
              so far, im not sure what XE supports that i915 doesn't aside from other platforms, but there are some kernel features that i915 lacks, but so far that doesnt translate to anything usable in mesa atm afaik

Comment

Working...
              X