Intel Will Submit New Xe Kernel Graphics Driver Soon - Likely For Linux 6.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Will Submit New Xe Kernel Graphics Driver Soon - Likely For Linux 6.8

Phoronix: Intel Will Submit New Xe Kernel Graphics Driver Soon - Likely For Linux 6.8

It looks like Intel will soon be submitting their first Xe Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) driver pull request to DRM-Next for mainlining this modern, current and future hardware focused kernel graphics driver to be added to the mainline Linux kernel. It looks like this mainlining is set to still happen in time for the upcoming Linux 6.8 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Exciting! Can't wait for the phoronix benchmarks

Comment

It will be nice if we can swap between kernel drivers real time, for me, Linux will always hang when I try to unbind the a380 from i915. Currently running zen kernel on arch, which may be the potential issue. But I have my doubts

Comment

I thought iHD was more recent than i915

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post
          I thought iHD was more recent than i915
          iHD is the user mode VAAPI driver (for some Intel GPUs), and the i915 is the kernel mode driver.

Comment

Currently Arc is unusable mess on a 4K display. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/9769 I guess they really abandoned i915

Comment

The Xe driver does not fully support the current generation of Arc Alchemist cards and Intel has said it never will. We'll have to jump back and forth between i915 and Xe depending on what your doing. Battlemage will be fully supported though by Xe.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                Currently Arc is unusable mess on a 4K display. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/9769 I guess they really abandoned i915
                all I can say is that it works for me, I run an a380 on my LG 4k with 1.2 resolution scale in sway and it works great​

Originally posted by shanedav4 View Post
                The Xe driver does not fully support the current generation of Arc Alchemist cards and Intel has said it never will. We'll have to jump back and forth between i915 and Xe depending on what your doing.
                unfortunately, I still can't even cleanly unbind my a380 from i915, so this would involve a reboot for me

Comment

Originally posted by shanedav4 View Post
                  The Xe driver does not fully support the current generation of Arc Alchemist cards and Intel has said it never will.
                  It is open source, so you (or someone you fund) could determine the i915's way to load the HuC firmware and port it to the Xe driver. No Intel required.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

It is open source, so you (or someone you fund) could determine the i915's way to load the HuC firmware and port it to the Xe driver. No Intel required.
                    Driver development already funded by purchasing the card. Intel needs to fix their shit.

Comment

Working...
                    X