Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Itanium IA-64 Support Removed With The Linux 6.7 Kernel

Phoronix: Intel Itanium IA-64 Support Removed With The Linux 6.7 Kernel

Overnight the mainline Linux kernel has retired support for Intel Itanium (IA-64) processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel: iAPX 432
    AMD: High-performance x86

Intel: Itanium
    AMD: 64-bit x86

Intel: Wells and Lakes with little to no IPC improvement
    AMD: Zen

Every couple years, Intel falls asleep, and then AMD comes and wakes Intel up.

Comment

Biggest irony here: The architectures which were "killed" by Itanium, have outlived it in the Kernel.

Comment

Can we now slowly do the same for x86(-64) and move to arm and/or riscv?

Comment

Very slowly ... my crystal ball shows me optimistic x86 retirement date in 2050, realistic in early 2100

Comment

Fitting farewell music: https://youtu.be/e_hIMvZTc1A

I wonder if it weren't for AMD we would all still either be using 32-bit x86 clocked at 10Ghz or if we would have been forced into Itanium with massively buggy and incomplete compilers (because if you dont know, Itanium was impossible to program for, being essentially only good for signal processing and nothing else, and even Microsoft gave Intel the finger when MS was forced into supporting it through a contract). Because this was the ed-edd-n-eddy crap they were trying to pull with their architectures.
            I'm *pretty* sure Intel isn't even a real company and has just been copying AMD's work for the last couple decades (AMD having literally invented the 64-bit extensions to x86 aside).
            Last edited by Ironmask; 02 November 2023, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Intel: iAPX 432
              AMD: High-performance x86

Intel: Itanium
              AMD: 64-bit x86

Intel: Wells and Lakes with little to no IPC improvement
              AMD: Zen

Every couple years, Intel falls asleep, and then AMD comes and wakes Intel up.
              Intel: big.E-Core
              AMD: big.X3D

Intel: More E-Cores and AI
              AMD: 128 Real Cores

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post
                Why?

x86 doesn't perform badly. Keep in mind that current x86 is way different than 1978 x86, totally different beasts. I guess it's more a matter of when to drop some old legacy parts (early x86) from the architecture, killing compatibility with old software.

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post
                  Maybe, but there'd have to be one hell of an x86-64 emulator, translator, whatever. There's nearly a half a centuries worth of software that'd be lost if that doesn't exist.

Comment

It's pretty funny how AMD named their pro CPUs "EPYC" when Itanium design philosophy was named "EPIC". As for the Itanium it seems that Itanic is about to make final plunge.

Comment

Working...
                    X