Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Arrow Lake's NPU/VPU Very Similar To Meteor Lake - Linux Driver Patch Posted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Arrow Lake's NPU/VPU Very Similar To Meteor Lake - Linux Driver Patch Posted

Phoronix: Intel Arrow Lake's NPU/VPU Very Similar To Meteor Lake - Linux Driver Patch Posted

With Meteor Lake comes the introduction of the Versatile Processing Unit (VPU) that is now marketed by Intel as the Neural Processing Unit (NPU). Recent versions of the Linux kernel have the "IVPU" accelerator driver to support Meteor Lake's VPU/NPU while now a patch is pending to extend that support for next-generation Arrow Lake processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All of the AI stuff is interesting, I really wonder just how far it will take certain things in terms of desktop computing. I think I remember an AMD post on how big the firmware blobs were going to get, my speculation was it was for the next generation of AI ran CPU's. Supposedly Intel already has some great stuff ready for accessibility features for people that have things like hearing impairment and cognitive memory recall assistance as well—by data base compilation and search for forgotten subject topics for a certain span of time.

On one hand it kind of sounds exciting—on the other quite mortifying.

Comment

Isn't Intel supposed to be building foundry's in the United States in certain areas by some date? I think it's kind of a shame so many have to rely on TSMC.

After doing a look, yep by 2030, they aim to be the second largest. There was some podcast I remember back in 2021 talking about it, it might have been Moore's Law Is Dead. Great podcast if anyone is interested, no talk of GNU LInux but plenty of talk about upcoming gaming hardware, I just listen to the free bits.
      Last edited by creative; 23 September 2023, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
        Isn't Intel supposed to be building foundry's in the United States in certain areas by some date? I think it's kind of a shame so many have to rely on TSMC. After doing a look, yep by 2030, they aim to be the second largest. There was some podcast I remember back in 2021 talking about it, it might have been Moore's Law Is Dead. Great podcast if anyone is interested, no talk of GNU LInux but plenty of talk about upcoming gaming hardware, I just listen to the free bits.
        I don't believe foundries will be as good as TSMC in the next 50 years at least.

Taiwan NEEDS to be the best at semiconductor manufacturing or China will invade them as soon as possible.

There's more competition than AMD for Intel. Chinese are going to be commercially blocked soon and are aware of it. India will rise as China II.

Neural processors? How did they put neurons on them? Seriously, it seems marketing buzzword to me.

Intel seems lost. AMD needs more competition, it's starting to behave like Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          I don't believe foundries will be as good as TSMC in the next 50 years at least.

Taiwan NEEDS to be the best at semiconductor manufacturing or China will invade them as soon as possible.

There's more competition than AMD for Intel. Chinese are going to be commercially blocked soon and are aware of it. India will rise as China II.

Neural processors? How did they put neurons on them? Seriously, it seems marketing buzzword to me.

Intel seems lost. AMD needs more competition, it's starting to behave like Intel.
          It's a big nutty cult of techno freaks and stupid jargon, It's technobabble. Hell even in the first generation of Ryzen they were advertising AI neural blahbahbah, I remember the stuff on their site. They act like they are modeling something similar to parts of the brain, it's goofy horseshit. There has been a big agenda behind this stuff and every company is involved in it. That's about as much as I'm going to go into it.

Besides that, neuronal chemistry and the organic physical activity of how it behaves is many fold more complex than the logic that gets put into the fabrication and functioning of semiconductors. It's not even physically possible to replicate the activity along a simple axon. Bio engineering
          is a whole other thing though separate from semiconductors that is much more applicable.

But yeah no, 50 years, you might be right about that given the history of intel's marketing department. I was coming from the logic that a lot of Industry needs to be back in America, its good for the country, I'm American.

I don't live in Taiwan and the politics between China and them is way out of our hands anyway, its not even worth mentioning. It's sort of like the whole Ukraine subject. This is my attitude about it, ok you people are getting so worked up about it, then why don't you just move over there and help them with some machine guns and rocket launchers, then the Russians can stomp the brains out of your skull across a pavement. Sounds good, go do that.

timofonic, when it comes to the United States, I tend to think it's best for the country to become extreme isolationist. If you were feeding the monkey to watch him shit, mission accomplished, you're actually talking to someone who went into the U.S. military so of course I have developed a strong opinion on the matter having seen the insanity of how things really are.
          Last edited by creative; 24 September 2023, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X