Intel Announces Thunderbolt 5 With 120 Gbps Bandwidth Boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debrouxl View Post
    Note that my post, which you quoted, mentions brain image processing rate, not eye optics

For brains, an image rate a bit above the fluid motion impression (24-25 FPS) is supposedly useful (although ISTR from my basic HMI courses at the CS university, over 15 years ago, that the conscious processing rate for useful changes is lower), but there's a wide margin between 24 FPS and 6 * 24 FPS, let alone 22.5 * 24 FPS.
    Put you monitor on 30Hz and see how that feels, you're going to hate it I promise. Usesul refresh rate has nothing do to with how many individual frames you can "consciously process" in a second.

I thought that old tired terrible argument died a long time ago.
    Last edited by dlq84; 13 September 2023, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Awesome, but it needs to find its way first into the USB standard
      IIRC, this is just USB4v2 with all the options enabled. Same situation as Thunderbolt 4 and USB4.

Was hoping the 120/40 Gbps mode could be enabled for eGPUs but it seems that's only for monitors (bec. PCIe tunneling needs to be symmetric?).

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

it's highly dependant on the person, I can't tell much past 90hz, my brother can reliably tell the difference between a 144hz and a 240hz panel no issues
        It probably also depends on what you're doing. You can normally easily tell the difference between 60 Hz, 75 Hz and 144 Hz just by moving the mouse. For 240 Hz you might have to go dragging a whole window around, and hope the window is actually rendered at 240 fps while being dragged and also that it's not being limited by your mouse since a regular mouse only polls at 125 Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Put you monitor on 30Hz and see how that feels, you're going to hate it I promise. Usesul refresh rate has nothing do to with how many individual frames you can "consciously process" in a second.

I thought that old tired terrible argument died a long time ago.
          My Jasper Lake has a hardware bug that makes it unusable at 4K 60Hz even though Intel claims it is capable of that. The only way to make it work at 4K is to put the monitor on 30Hz.

And I sure as hell am not bothered with it. Does 60Hz make my graphical desktop look nicer? Make Microsoft Office work faster? Make Edge start faster? Make my text input faster? No.

Tell me what should I be bothered about?

Comment

Originally posted by BreachScrambler View Post

Was hoping the 120/40 Gbps mode could be enabled for eGPUs but it seems that's only for monitors (bec. PCIe tunneling needs to be symmetric?).

Me either, but lately discrete GPUs are way too expensive anyway.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

It depends. If the GPU has a lot of VRAM, the PCIE speed doesn't matter quite as much. It also depends on the workload.
              I was asking about 4K & Thunderbolt

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzie View Post

It probably also depends on what you're doing. You can normally easily tell the difference between 60 Hz, 75 Hz and 144 Hz just by moving the mouse. For 240 Hz you might have to go dragging a whole window around, and hope the window is actually rendered at 240 fps while being dragged and also that it's not being limited by your mouse since a regular mouse only polls at 125 Hz.
                thats fair, I use gaming as my baseline since that's really the only thing I care about, well scrolling long text pages helps too,

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                  Man, who cares?

EDIT: Not that Michael shouldn't cover this, I mean why do we need this from Intel right now?
                  At this point, Thunderbolt is mostly nothing more than "USB Professional", for high-end Business/Enterprise storage usage. The more bandwidth it has, the faster Flash memory media (SSDs, NVME storage, etc.) and RAID/JBOD disk arrays can be filled/accessed. High-resolution displays are a smaller market segment of Thunderbolt's reach and are mostly confined to the creative professional space, where they need Thunderbolt for "connecting everything" through a hub or monitor with built-in hub. On the consumer side, Thunderbolt is pretty much ignored and irrelevant to the majority of consumers, who will continue to be using USB products of varying generations and features.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post

At this point, Thunderbolt is mostly nothing more than "USB Professional", for high-end Business/Enterprise storage usage. The more bandwidth it has, the faster Flash memory media (SSDs, NVME storage, etc.) and RAID/JBOD disk arrays can be filled/accessed. High-resolution displays are a smaller market segment of Thunderbolt's reach and are mostly confined to the creative professional space, where they need Thunderbolt for "connecting everything" through a hub or monitor with built-in hub. On the consumer side, Thunderbolt is pretty much ignored and irrelevant to the majority of consumers, who will continue to be using USB products of varying generations and features.
                    I think this will change as thunderbolt/usb4 becomes cheaper. the allure of having a "one cable solution" is really nice

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I think this will change as thunderbolt/usb4 becomes cheaper. the allure of having a "one cable solution" is really nice
                      The joke never changes. We as users, consumers, producers designers, technicians and engineers are victims of this.

Anyway, I find stupid that there are two standards. USB isn't so UNIVERSAL at all. I tought USB4 would be the unification of both USB and Thunderbolt, but I was wrong.

USB5 would be "Thunderbolt 6". 1.7 Tbps. Optical cable and maybe some magical copper way too or a compatible for slow devices such as keyboards, mices, audio and such.

Fragmentation/segmentation bores me to adopt this crap, really. I would inly use PCIe, fastest Ethernet or similar even in a home infrastructure.

USB and Thunderbolt are a mess. Slow adoption, too much market segmentation, too slow to be implemented in new devices. It's also a not really great improvemrnt at each iteration. Most computing issues are due to damn bandwidth bottlenecks.

Comment

Working...
                      X