Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Brings Up Lunar Lake Display Support For Linux

Phoronix: Intel Brings Up Lunar Lake Display Support For Linux

In addition to AMD sending out DCN 3.5 display patches for that next-gen display IP block presumably for their upcoming Ryzen 8000 series APUs, Intel's open-source engineers today sent out the patches enabling Lunar Lake display support for their i915 kernel driver while there is also support baking for their in-development Xe kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hey Michael

It is explained in the cover letter but basically Xe KMD shares the display driver with i915.

Comment

Hopefully brining Lunar Lake up this early will fix Intel's recent problems of being tardy to the party with graphics support. You need roughly support in place a year in advance for the various LTS Linux distros to support (example: Ubuntu 24.04 will get HWE stack 24.10 after it comes out about 9 months later or so) and about that far out for FreeBSD and OpenBSD to support it too, especially OpenBSD which only pulls DRM from the latest LTS Linux kernel release!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        Hopefully brining Lunar Lake up this early will fix Intel's recent problems of being tardy to the party with graphics support. You need roughly support in place a year in advance for the various LTS Linux distros to support (example: Ubuntu 24.04 will get HWE stack 24.10 after it comes out about 9 months later or so) and about that far out for FreeBSD and OpenBSD to support it too, especially OpenBSD which only pulls DRM from the latest LTS Linux kernel release!
        Or just don't use LTS garbage on the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Or just don't use LTS garbage on the desktop.
          I tried to run Manjaro Linux once, guess what happened? It broke because there were too many knobs and dodads I could turn and twist! It might have been good if I could update every week or two and didn't use the AUR any but it broke on me. Then at my last job as a DC tech whose job was literally setting up Linux servers by the hundreds my coworkers all tried Manjaro and it broke their systems too. That is 4 people including myself who have all tried Manjaro linux and it broke their systems! Xubuntu LTS is the only half way stable Linux distro I have found, plan to try out mint some time. Out of the OSes I've tried it goes like this in stability: FreeBSD and OpenBSD >> LTS Linux and other long lived distros like Debian >> Windows systems >> rolling release Linux distros. Yes I think Microsoft's broken update system for windows is more stable than a rolling release Linux distro. Granted, Gentoo and Manjaro are the only rolling release distros I've ever tried both were terrible if you go months and months without updating them, Manjaro broke on me and Gentoo didn't but two months of updates is a freaking lot of compilation work!

Comment

I tried to run Manjaro Linux once, guess what happened? It broke because there were too many knobs and dodads I could turn and twist! It might have been good if I could update every week or two and didn't use the AUR any but it broke on me. Then at my last job as a DC tech whose job was literally setting up Linux servers by the hundreds my coworkers all tried Manjaro and it broke their systems too. That is 4 people including myself who have all tried Manjaro linux and it broke their systems! Xubuntu LTS is the only half way stable Linux distro I have found, plan to try out mint some time. Out of the OSes I've tried it goes like this in stability: FreeBSD and OpenBSD >> LTS Linux and other long lived distros like Debian >> Windows systems >> rolling release Linux distros. Yes I think Microsoft's broken update system for windows is more stable than a rolling release Linux distro. Granted, Gentoo and Manjaro are the only rolling release distros I've ever tried both were terrible if you go months and months without updating them, Manjaro broke on me and Gentoo didn't but two months of updates is a freaking lot of compilation work!
            Nice pasta, bro. You can update arch once in half a year and nothing will break.

Comment

You aren't supposed to use AUR with manjaro. The packages there are designed and tested for arch. Anything else is "installer beware", so you definitely shouldn't use it if you don't know how to fix your system when something goes wrong

Comment

Manjaro is garbage, it will break without doing anything. Just install the plain distro, update a few times and things already stop working. Not a single extra package installed, never touched the AUR.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

You aren't supposed to use AUR with manjaro. The packages there are designed and tested for arch. Anything else is "installer beware", so you definitely shouldn't use it if you don't know how to fix your system when something goes wrong
                  Oh yes I found this out the hard way, pulled in a newer version of XFCE from AUR and it broke the system. something about having to uninstall the whole system to restore it or another. Pacman wanted to uninstall all gui packages. I lived with a broken system during university when I was super busy for 6 months because of how broken Manjaro got for me!

Comment

Working...
                  X