Intel Releases Updated Version Of Its Open-Source Font For Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases Updated Version Of Its Open-Source Font For Developers

Phoronix: Intel Releases Updated Version Of Its Open-Source Font For Developers

Intel is well regarded for their vast open-source contributions from being a major contributor to the Linux kernel and other areas like Mesa, GCC/glibc, and other key open-source projects to various niche projects like ConnMan and other smaller software projects. Debuting a few months ago as one of the newest open-source Intel projects catching us by surprise was Intel One Mono as a font designed for developers. Today brings a new version of that font...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Options are good, but this doesn't look like something I'd use. Maybe it looks better in an IDE than it does in those screenshots?

Comment

It looks perfectly fine to me in that screenshot . It's a monospace font, for coding or for reading mailing lists in mutt or similar. People's preferences for the shapes of letters vary, to me the example looks ok and comparatively hard to confuse the problematic glyphs (0, O, l,1, etc).

When it earlier version was noted here I said I'd hope to take a look at it - but it turns out that there is a lot of change in fonts over the years and I first need to catch up with existing fonts where my versions are old.

I hope to eventually post details at but for the moment all I can say is that the links to where to download the fonts should now work, at least for those which cover latin, cyrillic or greek alphabets.

Comment

It's a question of taste, so my opinion is just, like, my opinion.

But I think I'll stay with Fira Code or Consolas. This font looks a bit too 'squat' for me.

Also when I feel like it I'll use Comic Mono every now and then 😉

Still, kudos to Intel for releasing another alternative programming font! And open source, as well 👍🏼
        Last edited by pepoluan; 21 August 2023, 09:06 PM.

Comment

One of my favorite (heck, my favorite!) monospaced fonts for a long time has been Envy Code R:

It was never really able to be redistributed, just freely available. Now there is this, seems like maybe getting properly open-sourced - exited to see even though not fully sure what it all means:

Envy Code R font. Contribute to damieng/envy-code-r development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Programmer's Font Comparison
            Programmer's Font Comparison - rendered greyscale to avoid LCD sub-pixel disasters on different display tech.

It's a blocky font. Maybe good for people with mild Keratoconus. That 's the condition where when you look at a single point of light in the distance with one eye, you see multiple points of light, and possibly struggle with dark themes. Most people with Keratoconus are misdiagnosed as merely having astigmatism, and may find that contacts work way better for them than glasses as a result. My mother and partner both had Keratoconus and both had PKR + CXL to re-shape and strengthen their corneas - a relatively new procedure originating in Germany. The surgeon uses a topographically guided refracting laser to re-shape the cornea, then they add riboflavin drops and flash bright UV light a few times to make the riboflavin create cross-links in the collagen. I was sceptical but 9 years on my partner still has 20:20 vision without glasses. My mother is still in the post-op adjustment period with a good prognosis but still needs cataract surgery in another couple months.

So yeah if your Optometrist is struggling to provide you decent glasses and when they ask you which looks better, This or That and you're thinking to yourself "no difference" but pick one to make them happy... tell them "no difference, check me for Keratoconus".

For programming I use FiraCode Nerd Font (not "Mono") which is a hacked variation of Fira Code Mono with extra ligatures and thousands of icons. For fallback I have Noto Color Emoji, so when I'm writing markdown I know I'm seeing the same emoticons users will get in Chrome / Edge / Firefox / Brave / Opera... everything but Apple.

When Apple releases a freely licensed emoji font supporting their icon set, I will still start to care about their user experience. ;-)
            Last edited by linuxgeex; 22 August 2023, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Options are good, but this doesn't look like something I'd use. Maybe it looks better in an IDE than it does in those screenshots?
              It looks a lot better if you go to their git repository and view their screenshot. The image settings being used by phoronix makes it look very jaggy and bad.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
                For programming I use FiraCode Nerd Font (not "Mono") which is a hacked variation of Fira Code Mono with extra ligatures and thousands of icons.
                Oooh first time I ever heard about Nerd Font!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pepoluan View Post
                  Oooh first time I ever heard about Nerd Font!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It looks a lot better if you go to their git repository and view their screenshot. The image settings being used by phoronix makes it look very jaggy and bad.

Definitely not my cup of tea. Those curly braces and percentage sign... And I hate when the ampersand is missing its upper-right bit.
                    It seems to be designed for hidpi screens, I'll check later today on my 4k screen.

The question is, how it this distributed? Is it part of a readily-available font collection? Or am I supposed to hunt it down myself?

Comment

Working...
                    X