Intel Wiring Up DisplayPort Alt Mode 2.1 Support For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
    Is it possible (in theory) to power monitors thru such a Type-C connection?
    Indeed, but you're not going to get that regularly with a 4K monitor or likely any monitor at common desktop sizes, because the power plug hardware supporting high-draw hardware like monitors won't be feasible for most USB-C ports and desktop/laptop designs. There is an ever-growing portable monitor market where USB-C connectivity is used between laptops and sub-20 inch portable LED/OLED monitors. What you will be seeing more regularly, are desktop monitors that can power laptops/notebooks via their USB-C connection, because a monitor can easily fit the required electrical hardware in there.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
      Indeed, but you're not going to get that regularly with a 4K monitor or likely any monitor at common desktop sizes, because the power plug hardware supporting high-draw hardware like monitors won't be feasible for most USB-C ports and desktop/laptop designs.
      dang.. I know I should look for the specs myself if I'm interested, but can't desktop GPU's power be routed to a panel via usb-c cable? Without signal interference and all. Yes, 4k would be nice)

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
      What you will be seeing more regularly, are desktop monitors that can power laptops/notebooks via their USB-C connection, because a monitor can easily fit the required electrical hardware in there.
      yeah this is what usually comes up regarding Type-C and monitors

Comment

The USB-C ports on the latest GPUs are simply there as "an extra USB-C port" and are not there for powering anything greater than an external SSD or phone that needs charging. They are basic USB-C ports for connecting peripherals and nothing more. Using them for anything over 10-15-20 watts could be troublesome.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
          Is it possible (in theory) to power monitors thru such a Type-C connection?
          Yes, but not through the same cable, you would need 2 USB-C cables, one for power delivery (that nowadays goes up to 240W as far as I remember) and another for the display port

Comment

Working...
          X