Intel Preparing Another Linux Vulkan Driver Optimization To Help Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dimko View Post
    Out of curiosity, what resolution do you have? Do you plan to increase it?(buy a new monitor?)
    My main monitor is 2560x1440 170 Hz. It's plenty for me, so I don't think I'll upgrade to 4K high refresh rate anytime soon.

If I'm being honest, I don't play many graphically demanding games, so my GPU is still holding up well.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
      I don't play many graphically demanding games, so my GPU is still holding up well.
      yeah, for 1080p this gpu is enough even today.
      With that said, i have damaged screen, so i want an upgrade for both screen and GPU as a consequence.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

3440x1440 is not 4k, but i use FSR for pretty much everything that needs it. Either with ingame settings or I apply it over proton somehow(glorious eggroll or gamescope).
        Also I do shamelessly drop quality settings from time to time. Its playable.

But I want to upgrade BECAUSE I want better graphics and higher FPS.
        I completed cyberpunk 2077, and I want to do it again on better graphics.
        I don't play super new titles.
        If I were you I'd be targeting something like a Radeon RX 6800. It will give you a fairly large lift of >= 50% at 4K Ultra and double your VRAM to 16GB for a not totally outrageous $450 (at least in the USA). The bump you'd get from a 6700 XT or 6750 XT probably wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
          for the gaming industry as a whole, i wish for a clear success for intel with their dGPUs​. That could redress the balance in favor of the consumer.​
          Problem is, most people like you are all talk and you never buy non-Nvidia products. You wish the best to the competition so you can buy cheaper Nvidias... Of course competition is very needed but let the other suckers buy the underdog products, amirite?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Problem is, most people like you are all talk and you never buy non-Nvidia products. You wish the best to the competition so you can buy cheaper Nvidias... Of course competition is very needed but let the other suckers buy the underdog products, amirite?
            People buy Nvidia because they hear bad things about AMD drivers. As a linux gamer, I use AMD because I hear bad things about Nvidia's Linux drivers. Right now as a Linux gamer, if I were to buy a GPU then the Intel's are very compelling. Not just for their open source drivers but their price, since Nviida things a 128-bit GPU like the 4060 and 4060 Ti are worth $300 and $400. The Intel A750 is $200 and has working open source linux drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              People buy Nvidia because they hear bad things about AMD drivers. As a linux gamer, I use AMD because I hear bad things about Nvidia's Linux drivers. Right now as a Linux gamer, if I were to buy a GPU then the Intel's are very compelling. Not just for their open source drivers but their price, since Nviida things a 128-bit GPU like the 4060 and 4060 Ti are worth $300 and $400. The Intel A750 is $200 and has working open source linux drivers.
              Yep, I switched from AMD to Nvidia because I experienced the awful drivers of AMD on Windows. On Linux the mesa/AMD proprietary compiler was awfully slow compared to Nvidia’s compiler before ACO was released. Switched to Nvidia everything worked perfectly and even had a nice control panel to easily change settings. While I was using AMD I had to hunt down flags in forums or Phoronix articles to do simple things like enable VRR on AMD. I switched in 2020 and don’t see myself touching another AMD card since Nvidia’s drivers have been great on both Linux and Windows. While also providing better compute capabilities.

After reading the Phoronix article RTX 4060 vs RX 7600 the 4060 would be the easiest choice of the two especially since I’d end spending less after 2 years due to the lower power usage.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The advantage for the Radeon RX 7600 meanwhile is having the fully open-source Linux graphics driver stack and costing significantly less than the RTX 4060. The Radeon RX 7600 is priced starting at $249, which was a drop in the lead-up to the RTX 4060 launch, while the GeForce RTX 4060 starts out at $299.”
              Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 21 July 2023, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

If I were you I'd be targeting something like a Radeon RX 6800. It will give you a fairly large lift of >= 50% at 4K Ultra and double your VRAM to 16GB for a not totally outrageous $450 (at least in the USA). The bump you'd get from a 6700 XT or 6750 XT probably wouldn't be worth it.
                Yeah...
                I almost purchased used RX6800 from US. for 310$, but then delivery and VAT tax hit me hard. it was around 480 euro.
                But then...

New card available with all taxes and delivery, for 520 euro...
                So i backed down, and seller on ebay was kind enough not to force transaction upon me.

I check EU Ebay(-UK, since they are no EU and i will be hit with VAT tax), there is never anything remotely good. European used and new market compared to US is a shit show.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

Yep, I switched from AMD to Nvidia because I experienced the awful drivers of AMD on Windows. On Linux the mesa/AMD proprietary compiler was awfully slow compared to Nvidia’s compiler before ACO was released. Switched to Nvidia everything worked perfectly and even had a nice control panel to easily change settings. While I was using AMD I had to hunt down flags in forums or Phoronix articles to do simple things like enable VRR on AMD. I switched in 2020 and don’t see myself touching another AMD card since Nvidia’s drivers have been great on both Linux and Windows. While also providing better compute capabilities.

After reading the Phoronix article RTX 4060 vs RX 7600 the 4060 would be the easiest choice of the two especially since I’d end spending less after 2 years due to the lower power usage.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As a Linux user it's different than a Windows user. AMD is still superior than Nvidia when it comes to Linux, just because Valve is behind RADV. There was a time period when AMD could play Cyberpunk 2077 and Nvidia couldn't, just because Valve was quickly patching RADV. I also don't have to worry about issues with my kernel and Nvidia drivers since I update my kernel often as I'm using th Xanmod kernel. I don't know about VRR since I don't think my monitor can support it. As for compute, I hear ROCm is finally catching up, not that I care as a gamer.

As for the 4060, it's a joke. Been a joke since the introduction of the 4060 Ti. It does use less power than a RTX 3060 Ti, but nobody cares. The RX 7600 is also bad value, just because for the same price you could get a RX 6700. Anything with 8GB of VRAM in 2023 is a bad choice. The RX 6800 and 6700 is the best bang for your buck right now. As for power consumption, the 4060 is about 125W, but the 4060 Ti is 152W. The RX 7600 is also about 152W, just like the 4060 Ti. If I were to calculate these GPU's based on 3 hours of gaming per day with electric cost 14 ¢/kWh​ for a year, the 4060 Ti and RX 7600 which both consume 152W while gaming, which will cost $23 per year. The 4060 with it's 125W will cost you $19 a year, which is a $4 savings per year compared to the RX 7600 and 4060 Ti. If you live in Germany which you may pay 0.56 €​/kWh​​ then the 4060 costs €​76 a year, with the 4060 Ti and RX 7600 costing €93 a year. Though I consider Germany one of the worst in electric cost in Europe, while the 14 ¢/kWh​ is what I pay here in NJ. The power cost of the GPU's are negligible at best, especially when you consider that the RX 7600 has lower idle power consumption.
                  Last edited by Dukenukemx; 21 July 2023, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                    As a Linux user it's different than a Windows user. AMD is still superior than Nvidia when it comes to Linux, just because Valve is behind RADV. There was a time period when AMD could play Cyberpunk 2077 and Nvidia couldn't, just because Valve was quickly patching RADV. I also don't have to worry about issues with my kernel and Nvidia drivers since I update my kernel often as I'm using th Xanmod kernel. I don't know about VRR since I don't think my monitor can support it. As for compute, I hear ROCm is finally catching up, not that I care as a gamer.

As for the 4060, it's a joke. Been a joke since the introduction of the 4060 Ti. It does use less power than a RTX 3060 Ti, but nobody cares. The RX 7600 is also bad value, just because for the same price you could get a RX 6700. Anything with 8GB of VRAM in 2023 is a bad choice. The RX 6800 and 6700 is the best bang for your buck right now. As for power consumption, the 4060 is about 125W, but the 4060 Ti is 152W. The RX 7600 is also about 152W, just like the 4060 Ti. If I were to calculate these GPU's based on 3 hours of gaming per day with electric cost 14 ¢/kWh​ for a year, the 4060 Ti and RX 7600 which both consume 152W while gaming, which will cost $23 per year. The 4060 with it's 125W will cost you $19 a year, which is a $4 savings per year compared to the RX 7600 and 4060 Ti. If you live in Germany which you may pay 0.56 €​/kWh​​ then the 4060 costs €​76 a year, with the 4060 Ti and RX 7600 costing €93 a year. Though I consider Germany one of the worst in electric cost in Europe, while the 14 ¢/kWh​ is what I pay here in NJ. The power cost of the GPU's are negligible at best, especially when you consider that the RX 7600 has lower idle power consumption.
                    I’ve been using the same Solus install for the past 4 years and haven’t had an issue with the kernel breaking Nvidia drivers. It’s a rolling release and the kernel gets upgraded pretty often. I guess that’s the benefit of using a Linux distro targeting average desktop users.

When connecting two monitors to the RX 7600 it uses the same amount as a RTX 4060 at idle. I’m in the US and power cost 44¢/kWh which is the reason I brought it up. I do care, after 2 years the RTX 4060 would cost less than a RX 7600. Though I wouldn’t buy any of these GPUs. I think all of the cards pricing from both AMD and Nvidia are a joke. I keep my desktop on for around 6-8 hours a day due to machine learning.

Comment

Working...
                    X