Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Experimental Xe Driver For Linux Lacking HuC Media Support For DG2/Alchenist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is precisely why I didn't consider getting Alchemist - I had a strong feeling Intel was going to prematurely abandon it, though, I never would've expected them to abandon it before it even got superseded, let alone on Linux.

I was expecting Battlemage to really be what Alchemist should've been, but, I'm probably not going to get that either if they're this quick to drop support.

Comment

I probably wouldn't even mind it too greatly if they had at least have working driver rebinding. since it would be more of a nuisance then anything else, but sadly no.

Comment

So the TGL/ADL/RPL/DG1 HuC applies to XeKMD? That would be a big joke

Comment

This is a joke, at least now I know to always buy AMD GPUs even if Intel is competitive at the high end in the future, so much for good and well supported Linux drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            This is precisely why I didn't consider getting Alchemist - I had a strong feeling Intel was going to prematurely abandon it, though, I never would've expected them to abandon it before it even got superseded, let alone on Linux.

I was expecting Battlemage to really be what Alchemist should've been, but, I'm probably not going to get that either if they're this quick to drop support.
            I hope this dont happen because if happen intel image will be damaged seriously more than now

Comment

Intel driver devs strike again. Same arguments time and again. Intel refuses to support their own hardware properly because it's too hard to do something or certain hardware features are released in a broken state. Does anyone at Intel actually talk to each other? I mean, does the GPU hardware team talk to the GPU driver team or do they just dump the hardware in their lap and say "make it work"? Cuz I'm pretty much leaning towards the later - and not just with GPUs either.

Also it doesn't matter if it were a 10 year old product or not. Intel historically does this kind of crap in everything from NICs to GPUs to niche processors.

Open source doesn't matter much if the only people that can reliably implement a hardware feature refuse to do so - especially when they're being paid to do it. No one is going to step up here and do what Intel is already paying its developers to do any more than people stepped up to fix the utter mess with Sandy/Ivy Bridge GPUs or those broken Intel NICs drivers recently queued for removal. And because of that, sane individuals should remember this, avoid their products, and ignore the fanboi apologists who'll soon be making excuses for them especially when the next round of shiny dross is dumped on the market with so much promise. You should first be saying "show me the code" before you buy into it.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-tech View Post
                This is a joke, at least now I know to always buy AMD GPUs even if Intel is competitive at the high end in the future, so much for good and well supported Linux drivers.
                Amen. I had perfectly working rx580 for 5 years, should have bought another AMD card, but I put too much hope in a greedy company, decided to give another player on a market a chance.
                Last edited by RejectModernity; 09 May 2023, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Remember the old days when the Intel drivers were considered the best choice for graphics in Linux and AMD Linux drivers were the laughing stock? Well, how the turn tables.

Comment

It will be a joke if DG2/XeHPG ends up lacking HuC support in Xe kernel driver. The only use I bought this card for is video encoding. If so I would not recommend the 2nd gen Arc - Battlemage again no matter how fancy it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Amen. I had perfectly working rx580 for 5 years, should have bought another AMD card, but I put too much hope in a greedy company, decided to give another player on a market a chance.
                      If you're really into gaming, then AMD Mesa drivers also have the benefit of having tons of contributions from Valve devs, something which Intel Mesa drivers don't benefit from. To me, this is also a factor to go with AMD rather than Intel.

Comment

Working...
                      X