Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Progress On The IPU6 Linux Driver To Enable Web Camera Support With Newer Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Progress On The IPU6 Linux Driver To Enable Web Camera Support With Newer Laptops

Phoronix: Intel Progress On The IPU6 Linux Driver To Enable Web Camera Support With Newer Laptops

You may recall last year how several prominent upstream kernel developers recommended avoiding Intel's latest laptops for Linux use that bear their IPU6 MIPI camera over the lack of upstream open-source support. It's taken some months but the initial IPU6 Linux kernel driver patches are out for review and will hopefully make it to the mainline Linux kernel in the months ahead...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Camera firmware which is authenticated by the intel management engine and communicates with it. With "open source" support for only a closed userspace on a few specific kernel versions.

Fuck you, intel.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      You may recall last year how several prominent upstream kernel developers recommended avoiding Intel's latest laptops for Linux use that bear their IPU6 MIPI camera over the lack of upstream open-source support.
      I don't recall that.

But I do recall sticking a piece of black electrical tape over every embedded webcam on every laptop since the dawn of history. I do recall that.

Comment

May somebody explain why it's always so hard with IPU drivers? This IP is so precious, very competitive or they put very big effort into this?

Comment

Originally posted by Shtirlic View Post
          May somebody explain why it's always so hard with IPU drivers? This IP is so precious, very competitive or they put very big effort into this?
          Backdoors?

Comment

Working...
          X