Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Patches Confirm Intel Meteor Lake Having An L4 Cache

Phoronix: Linux Patches Confirm Intel Meteor Lake Having An L4 Cache

A new Intel graphics kernel driver patch posted by Intel on Tuesday confirm that upcoming Meteor Lake processors will feature an ADM/L4 cache...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if it will be 'cache-sized' like the 64-128MB eDRAM on previous chips, or bigger, like the 2-4GB memory typically strapped to a low-end GPU.

Comment

imho they will use around 512mb - the 128mb from the broadwell chip era are a little bit less for this new chip - if they really want to take back the "crown" on consumer chips from amd. 2-4 gb will be too expensive for the "masses"- the 4th gen xeons with 56 cores don't have more cache than this.
      Last edited by spiral_23; 12 April 2023, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spiral_23 View Post
        imho they will use around 512mb - the 128mb from the broadwell chip era are a little bit less for this new chip - if they really want to take back the "crown" on consumer chips from amd. 2-4 gb will be too expensive for the "masses"- the 4th gen xeons with 56 cores don't have more cache than this.
        If it's a separate "tile", I don't see why they can't segment it like they already do with L3 cache.

For example, have 0 or 512 MB on cheaper models, 1 GB on an i7, ≥2 GB on an i9.

Comment

if the rumors are true its a bummer meteor lake got cancelled for desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

If it's a separate "tile", I don't see why they can't segment it like they already do with L3 cache.

For example, have 0 or 512 MB on cheaper models, 1 GB on an i7, ≥2 GB on an i9.
            yes they could do that. but sram cache needs a lot of space - and so power draw and costs. i also want to see more of it - but lets stay realistic. as pieman said - it is rumored that they cancel the desktop variants of meteor lake . and on a mobile chip - where thhe wattage is so important - i mean - we won't see such big caches this year for consumer processors. but there is big potential in this chiplet tile design as amd has already shown.

Comment

Originally posted by spiral_23 View Post

yes they could do that. but sram cache needs a lot of space - and so power draw and costs. i also want to see more of it - but lets stay realistic. as pieman said - it is rumored that they cancel the desktop variants of meteor lake . and on a mobile chip - where thhe wattage is so important - i mean - we won't see such big caches this year for consumer processors. but there is big potential in this chiplet tile design as amd has already shown.
              I think L4 is going to be denser DRAM, not SRAM.

Comment

Oh I missed this post, this is cool.

But I think people are getting the wrong expectations... The eDRAM on Broadwell was a cache for a big IGP, and the CPU benefit on the desktop was just a happy side effect.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
                  Oh I missed this post, this is cool.

But I think people are getting the wrong expectations... The eDRAM on Broadwell was a cache for a big IGP, and the CPU benefit on the desktop was just a happy side effect.
                  My expectations are that I want 32 GB of shared HBM cache stacked on the CPU, shared between the iGPU and CPU cores. For $199.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

My expectations are that I want 32 GB of shared HBM cache stacked on the CPU, shared between the iGPU and CPU cores. For $199.
                    50 cent worth part for $199 -

Comment

Working...
                    X