Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Becomes First Major Corporate Backer To Krita Open-Source Digital Painting Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Gimp devs being bothered to show results? I bet they would flat out refuse any money with strings attached.
    They actually make good progress, but it's mostly on the back end, where the grunt work is. And it's complete that the dev working on it move on to other part. It's just that no one is working to expose it to the users.

The perception lack progress exist because the dev is working on something others don't understand. Some kind of wizard work. But it is important for gimp

Comment

Great to see a KDE project wit this kind of backing!
      I wish that other KDE projects get some backing too.
      Hopefully Valve one day will decide to become a serious back of KDE Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I wish that other KDE projects get some backing too.
        Hopefully Valve one day will decide to become a serious back of KDE Plasma.
        Valve is already a backer:
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Perhaps they're not just simply throwing money at the project but honestly, I think I'd prefer their approach of adding developers. It's not like the existing KDE devs don't have enough on their plate; paying them more (while deserved) isn't going to make them work faster/better. We've witnessed how much KDE has improved the past couple of years, and I think Valve contributing work has a lot to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          True though to further add to what you said, that could imply conflicts of interest. For Krita, it's just an individual program and Intel is just trying to prove their GPUs are worth something while helping out a project that needs funding, so I see that as a win-win situation.
          I suspect that another reason is because Krita uses Qt and its code base should be smaller, simpler and easier to improve and implement what Intel needs.

Comment

Nice move form Intel. Honestly I was thinking of buying an Intel GPU anyways and it's nice to see the effort they put into Linux and open source.
            On the other hand we have Nvidia which ... well Linus said it best with his "duck" you Nvidia.
            That's exactly what they deserve for their Linux behavior.

Comment

Fantastic, intel throwing it's excess money at something good for once is great.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                Fantastic, intel throwing it's excess money at something good for once is great.
                right... the QT stuff is still CLA-WAR its still the enemy but yes more money on opensource is still good.

for linux it is really good that intel want to do PCIe GPU cards...

is is that that from my perspective i have a vega64 no intel card is yet even near the performance of my vega64.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post
                  I wonder if the people behind Clip Art Studio are truly worried now. Once an open source project picks up steam, it's a lot harder to compete with it.
                  I doubt it, clip is simply next level for an art program, it will be a long time before krita, or really any art program can rival clip in any meaningful way. it's not even just feature parity that is the issue. as clip as a great many features beneficial to many folk, but the community clip has built up. CLip is truly unparalleled in terms of an art program. Though, I do have high hopes for kirita. I don't think those hopes will be fulfilled anytime soon

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

right... the QT stuff is still CLA-WAR its still the enemy but yes more money on opensource is still good.
                    And Qt is still much better and professional than GTK.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      True though to further add to what you said, that could imply conflicts of interest. For Krita, it's just an individual program and Intel is just trying to prove their GPUs are worth something while helping out a project that needs funding, so I see that as a win-win situation.
                      Also for commercial purposes. A growing number of schools are actually using Krita nowadays, so Intel would benefit from schools wanting better hardware to run Krita.

Comment

Working...
                      X