Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Becomes First Major Corporate Backer To Krita Open-Source Digital Painting Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Becomes First Major Corporate Backer To Krita Open-Source Digital Painting Program

Phoronix: Intel Becomes First Major Corporate Backer To Krita Open-Source Digital Painting Program

Intel has become the first corporate "gold" patron to the Krita Foundation for their development fund to advance this open-source digital painting program...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news! The funding is a crucial win for open source projects when it can be made available.

For reference, did/does GIMP ever receive corporate backing of this kind?

Comment

Such a good/great move Intel, bravo.

Comment

It is so sad that project like gimp don't have this kind of backing. But again, they only have people who just developing the software. They don't have people who manage fund, marketing or such

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
          Gimp devs being bothered to show results? I bet they would flat out refuse any money with strings attached.

Comment

GIMP's progress is too slow for any big corporation to sponsor them, and I don't think funding is the main reason for the slowness (though it certainly is part of it).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              GIMP's progress is too slow for any big corporation to sponsor them, and I don't think funding is the main reason for the slowness (though it certainly is part of it).
              Ontop of this, doesn't the whole Gnome/GTK ecosystem (including Gimp) get a lot of indirect funding by virtue of being propped up by Redhat? My gut impression is that KDE and its related software in proportion to how much funding/resources they get is producing much better quality software. Imagine if a company the size of redhat would be supporting KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                Ontop of this, doesn't the whole Gnome/GTK ecosystem (including Gimp) get a lot of indirect funding by virtue of being propped up by Redhat? My gut impression is that KDE and its related software in proportion to how much funding/resources they get is producing much better quality software. Imagine if a company the size of redhat would be supporting KDE.
                True though to further add to what you said, that could imply conflicts of interest. For Krita, it's just an individual program and Intel is just trying to prove their GPUs are worth something while helping out a project that needs funding, so I see that as a win-win situation.

Comment

I wonder if the people behind Clip Art Studio are truly worried now. Once an open source project picks up steam, it's a lot harder to compete with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                    Great news! The funding is a crucial win for open source projects when it can be made available.

4 years ago they got a 100 000 dollars donation.
                    That probably accelerated version 3.0 that was planned for 2040 originally.

Comment

Working...
                    X